PDA

View Full Version : Old Surge "RV" vacuum pump question

Bucket Head
01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Anybody out there with any information on the old, green colored, "RV" model Surge vacuum pumps? Anyone out there using one? Anyone have an owners manual? I was wondering what the operating r.p.m. was on it. There is no electric motor on it, so I can't figure what the speed/pulley diameter/reduction would be. Eventually I'll be putting a small gas engine on it so I'll have to do the math for that, whenever it may be. Do the old green pumps turn at the same speed as the newer SP model pumps? I know the SP22's are supposed to turn at 400rpm. Any info, or possible leads to some info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

maple flats
02-01-2012, 04:54 AM
I have a different model, but mine runs at bout 700 rpm, if you don't get any better info try that. Have you contacted Westfalia Surge dealer? The local one is Wormuth, in Morrisville, 315-684-9152. Mine is a vane pump, is the RV vane or piston?
Good luck,
Dave

maple maniac65
02-01-2012, 06:12 AM
I used to have one a vein type. I ran it with a 5.5 hp honda motor but had to run it at full throttle to get it to turn at a high enough speed to maintain vac. I now run 11hp honda motors on gast pumps at half throttle. They use less gas per day and easier on the motor than running at full speed all day. I think that the pulley on the motor should turn around 1600rpm's

Bucket Head
02-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys,

I guess I should have given a better description of my pump. This one is a piston pump. I did'nt give any thought to the Surge rotary vane pumps as being green also. Sorry. The vane pumps turn much faster than the piston pumps. The piston pumps will fail at the speeds the rotary units run at.

There is a formula for figuring pulley sizes, but you need to know first what the rpm's are supposed to be for both the drive and driven unit.

Thanks for replies guys. If you come up with any info on the old piston pumps please let me know.

Steve