PDA

View Full Version : Pump Help

Flinch
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
I just purchased a "booster pump or gun pump" to move sap up a steep hill to my sugar house. The pump is in a heated room with the thought that I didn't want the pump to freeze. It is an electric pump that is set up on a float. I was trying to eliminate the gas pump I used last year and the numerous trips back and forth to move sap. The pump will need to pump sap uphill 25' and then the line drops off into the back of the sugar house. My question is when the collection tank is empty will the remaining sap that has not crested the top of the hill flow back through the pump back into the collection tank. Do I need to set up a drain line in order for the line not to freeze outside of the heated room at night? I hope someone can help me out! I appreciate the broad range of support and knowledge on this site!

01-31-2012, 06:30 PM
It will as longs there is not check valve or foot valve and when you say booster pump do you mean like a small water pump meant for a house cause if it is I dont think t will pump that far.

Flinch
01-31-2012, 06:38 PM
The pump is a 3/4 horse pump I bought from green mountain repair It looks like two cylinders attached to each other one big and a skinny cylinder. He said sugar makers use them all of the time. However, he wasn't sure about my question. So if the line has no foot valve or check valve it should gain head pressure coming back and flow right back into the tank?? I appreciate your help.

01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Yes but that means you also have to prime it every time

Flinch
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Last time I will bother you! Is there a way to eliminate that. My hope was to make it easier so I could make this more of a one man operation and eliminate running down and starting the gas pump.

Redmaple
01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
What if you put your pump at the other end of the line? It would be sucking/pulling the sap rather than pushing it,

01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
It I much easier to push water rather than pull it

highroadsyrup
01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Last time I will bother you! Is there a way to eliminate that. My hope was to make it easier so I could make this more of a one man operation and eliminate running down and starting the gas pump.

If your pump is lower than the tank it will prime itself. The problem is the line from the pump to your shack...that will freeze. If you put a shut off on your discharge line and a drain beyond the shutoff, you could drain it at the end of the day. Your still going to have to make a trip down to the pump house once a day, but......think of all the exercise you'll get :)

Flinch
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Makes sense thank you

OneLegJohn
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
There are a few things I've learned pumping sap uphill over a distance. First, put a pressure gauge on it. It will help when trouble shooting. At 42psi, the sap will be flowing into the sugarhouse. I use a 1HP Goulds pumps. Stainless. I tried a Dayton 1HP...didn't quite make it. It generated 25psi.

Secondly, I put air inputs so I can blow the lines out. I also have a drain at the bottom near the pump. I can isolate the pump and open a drain.

Mine is pumped underground so freezing isn't an issue as much as end of year cleaning. I have a check valve, but I don't tink in matters. I did put a water meter on the unit to track sap volume.

Flinch
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Great advice thanks