PDA

View Full Version : NE tapping?

Greenwich Maple Man
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Was wondering if there are any larger producers, say thousand taps or more that are tapping in Upstate NY, Vermont, NH. It is SO early and I have never tapped this early ever but the extended forecast dosn't show any signs of being cold. I've sugared for sixteen years and have NEVER seen the season start this early.Just wondering what the other guys with vacuum and more taps are doing. I'm rather sure I could have pulled sap today.

SSFLLC
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Bascom's started last monday 50000 +- and Pearl and sons started yesterday 9000+. Thats here in NH

sjdoyon
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
i'm planning to tap the third week of February. We are lucky to see sap running by mid-March. A few local outfits with ten and fifteen thousand taps start first week of Feb. We're in the mountains so we typically start late and run late (end of April). Had one outfit a few miles east at the same elevation do a boil on 04 May last year.

3x10 Inferno Arch
4,000+ Taps
7,5 HP Vacuum pump
Lapierre 600gph RO
3 SS 1500 gallon tanks
24x32 Sugarhouse

AdirondackSap
02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
I just tapped in yesterday and today. Im just north of you in whitehall and saps flowing steady. I tested the sugar content and its running 2 percent. With Temps being in upper 30s for highs in the extended forcast i couldnt wait any longer. Now i cant wait to test out the new RO from Ray Gingerich hopefully everything runs smoothly looks like its going to be an early season.

stoweski
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Was wondering if there are any larger producers, say thousand taps or more that are tapping in Upstate NY, Vermont, NH. It is SO early and I have never tapped this early ever but the extended forecast dosn't show any signs of being cold. I've sugared for sixteen years and have NEVER seen the season start this early.Just wondering what the other guys with vacuum and more taps are doing. I'm rather sure I could have pulled sap today.

See... it's tough not to tap with weather like this, isn't it??!!
Sorry, going skiing on Saturday. Can't tap, gotta ski.

Thad Blaisdell
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
stowski.... if you get bored skiing come on over and help tap. lol

stoweski
02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
You know Thad, if I actually had to pick a place to live it would be just up the road from you... or anywhere north in VT for that matter. Then I'd hop on over when I had some time. Just don't leave the donuts & muffins in the back of your truck for me. I know what that gets you!

Sorry, I've never been bored while skiing! :D

adk1
02-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Stoweski, ittook me awhile,but now I understand you callname.Madriverglen....that was always awesome

stoweski
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Stoweski, ittook me awhile,but now I understand you callname.Madriverglen....that was always awesome

Some of us are just slow. :D

... especially me. I haven't tapped yet. I'm thinking now it may have been a mistake. I don't know what to do. Wish I had a clue what people were doing. I know there are a few in Charlton and over in Grafton... haven't heard much from them. Anyone???