PDA

View Full Version : When to Begin Tapping

frjeff
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm a newb at this whole process, and have all necessary equipment (spiles, buckets, burner, evaporator pan, etc).

However, as erratic as our Northern Michigan weather has been this Winter, I have no idea when to begin tapping. I understand the freezing nights/above freezing days routine, but we have that right now!

I am in Oscoda, MI (48750) and had been believing it would be generally in later Feb., but I need some more specific guidance. Is there any part of this forum which folks indicate when they are beginning the tap?

I only have 6 trees to tap, but want the fun and real maple syrup on my table (even if it is only a few pints).

Any and all help is appreciated.

Fr. Jeff

bowtie
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
i am going to tap this weekend. i'm still waiting to get my evap set up. put off getting my supplies and now i am waiting for my buckets to come in, arch board to arrive at the maple store , and still can not find any used ss tanks around here. so i am going to be rushing around this weekend, guess i am going to have to settle for poly tanks because i can see paying $1300 for a 200ish gallon ss tank. oh yea my chainsaw crapped out and is getting fixed right now so the firewood is not going well either. may have to drive 300 miles each way to get a ss tank,bascoms, this is what you get when you decide to put things off and mother nature decides nobody needs winter

MISugarDaddy
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
frjeff,
I suggest you wait a little while to tap. I am located in Gaylord and have found that tapping during the first week of March is about the best time. Other producers in the area also tap around that time based on news stories I have seen over the last couple of years. I have to admit, with the temperatures this week it makes a person wonder though. Good luck with your season.