PDA

View Full Version : A beginner question

GCunningham
01-31-2012, 05:48 AM
This is only my second year in this addicting process and have a question about tapping. I have been told by a 4th generation sugaring family that it is possible to drain a tree conpletely if it's tapped too much. Rotate sections from year to year so not to "drain" the same trees. I can believe that some day I might run out of spots on the tree to tap, but draining a tree? What?

SDdave
01-31-2012, 07:24 AM
I don't know about draining a tree completly or not. But rotating taps both vertically and horizontally each year is recommended practice. And obviously not putting in more than the recommended # of taps per diameter helps. A good book to read is the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual, has just about anything for anyone. I myself am a hobbist at this, and not only is that book a good read but very helpful.

Have fun,
SDdave

Maple Ridge
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
You are not going to drain the tree. Yes you need to offset your taps each year. New sap wood will cover the tap hole. Depending on the size of the hole and the health of the tree, this could take from 1 to 3 years. The amount of sap you take from a 5/16 or a 7/16 tap hole is not going to hurt the tree. As you may know, 10" to 12" is the smallest tree you should tap.
There is allot of talk on this here. Most of us were in your position once. This is a good place to get your questions answered.