PDA

View Full Version : Mild Weather

jmp
01-30-2012, 10:54 AM
How will the mild weather conditions we have had here in MA affect sap flow? Thanks for the input guys! Appreciated!

SDdave
01-30-2012, 03:53 PM
I don't know much about the weather in your area, but the weather by me is messing with my head. I got that pre season itchy, shaky feeling. It feels like we are a month ahead with the temps. Should I tap? Should I wait? I know winter here is long from over but, are we a month ahead like it was 6 or 7 years ago? I got almost everything ready.

SDdave

Indiana-Jones
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Here in central Indiana this winter is so warm we have not killed or slowed down the bugs. I have had taps in almost a week and this is three weeks ahead of last year and the bugs are thick. Today started frozen and it got up to 55. Tomorrow a high of 65. I went ahead and taped thinking that spring is early this year and if I'm wrong I can move the taps to other trees. I guess that is one advantage of a small timer.

I'm getting mosquitoes in the buckets. Do trees exhale carbon dioxide out of the tap hole? I think that mosquitoes track down people to bite by our carbon dioxide breath.

Good luck with your tapping.

jmp
02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. I am thinking about two more weeks here in Western MA. I could be wrong. Any thoughts from those of you in MA?