PDA

View Full Version : Organic Sanitizer???

red maples
01-30-2012, 07:57 AM
So although I am not certified organic and do not claim to be, I like my operation to be as close to organic as possible, I know that if you use bleach as a sanitizing agent then its not considered organic...(which I do use in my tanks at this time to sanitize them) is there a sanitizing chemical that is OK to use under the organic guidelines hopefully something I can get pretty easy. I will propably never get certified for organic but just like to be as close as possible. thanks for any info.

smokeyamber
01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
There is some stuff used by brewers for sanitizing that is food safe, no odors either. Star-san is one, B-Brite is another...

bees1st
01-30-2012, 06:11 PM
MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners ]states that chlorine is permitted,also sodium bicarbonate,food grade hydrogen peroxide,sodium hydroxide and phosphoric acid.

GramaCindy
01-30-2012, 06:25 PM
MOFGA [Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners ]states that chlorine is permitted,also sodium bicarbonate,food grade hydrogen peroxide,sodium hydroxide and phosphoric acid.

What would be considered "food grade" hydrogen peroxide?

sapman
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
What would be considered "food grade" hydrogen peroxide?

The kind used in household water treatment is. Typically 35%.

gmcooper
01-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Things must have changed as a few years ago we looked at going organic and my first question was can I still use a chlorine solution to wash tanks and I got a definate"no". Dept of Ag. rep also said no on chlorine as well as another producer.

Clarkfield Farms
01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
For brewing & wine I use StarSan. It's a no-rinse acid sanitizer. Always pleased with the results. It will foam a lot so be aware of that; foam works just as well so don't worry about it. Some people get really bugged-out about the foam, it doesn't always work well with their intentions. 30-second contact time is all it needs, leaves no taste or odor behind.

bees1st
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
The important thing is,RINSE,RINSE,RINSE

CBOYER
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Québec organic certification permit Sodium Hypochlorite (NaClO) for all equipment except tubing, rinse with clean water is mandatory. after season, acetic acid(vinegar ) is permit for pans, and sodium hypochlorite is permitted for tubing.