On in Md. My family has 100 acres In
Friendsville. Wondering if it is to late
To tap for this year. Starting out on turkey
Fryer for this year. If we get enough sap
I'll make an evaporator out of an oil tank
For next year. Thanks

SevenCreeksSap
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Youre not that far south of many of us in Ohio if your in Friendsville and we're just getting started. Some of the guys in Ky have been going for a week or two and your north of them. Its not too late as long as your Maples haven't budded out. , do a test hole when the weather is right and see what comes out. There's a large producer in Cumberland area and I bet he's getting ready or going. Forget his name. Another nice sugarhouse on the road to the lake down there. 42? 62?
Also watch for posts from some of the southwest Pa guys, lots of them around Meyersdale area. If you have 100 acres and a turkey fryer your problem is not going overboard and drowning in sap. Get out there and try it and good luck.

220 maple
01-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Western MD Mapler,
You still have time the West Virginia producers near Mt. Storm have in the past waited until Valentines Day before tapping, your weather should be the same.

Mark 220 Maple

cyblood
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM
You have still got time. Just keep an eye on the extended forecasts for your area for that freeze / thaw cycle that's needed for sap flow. And as SevenCreekSap said start slow with a few good trees until you get the hang of retrieval, storage, boiling off etc... I started off with a TF also and after my first long batch immediately went out and bought 2 stainless steel buffet pans, scrounged up some old cement block to make a small arch and reduced my boil time from about 1G per 1.5hr to 6-7 gals in an hour. Some folks have continued using their TFs year after year but if you've got a lot of sugar bush and decide to go "all in" you will quickly realize the need to upgrade to a level that meets you needs even if you just do it in increments. Good luck!

Here's on of the guys near you:

S & S Maple Camp‎
10816 Sugar Camp Dr
Corriganville, MD 21524
(301) 724-1433

Another just north is:

Brenneman's Maple Syrup & Equipment company
572 Oak Dale Road
Salisbury, PA 15558
(814) 941-8974 *Call first

KV Sappers
01-30-2012, 06:48 PM
I started last year and boiled on my kitchen stove.This year I'm boiling on a 3 burner high propane stove with a custom made syrup pan with 3 dividers and a preheater pan sitting on top. I'm boiling 4 gph and only have the burners turned about a 1/4 open. Probably could get more gph if I opened the burners up more. Doesn't matter what you use, just tap some trees and go for it. Be fore warned though, this sugar making is addictive!!

RubberDuck
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Definitely not too late. If anything, too early. I'm in central MD and most of the sugarers around here are just getting started. I drilled a test hole last week and not much has come out. Probably going to tap some this weekend and see what I get. Mid Feb is probably going to be about right.

Western MD Mapler
02-04-2012, 06:09 AM
This has to be one of the best forums not for maplers but in general. All the responses and recomendations are always positve and helpful. It seems like all other forums have select few that ruin a topic. Now that the brown nosing Is out of the way, thanks for all your input. I will be taping today. The weather looks absolutely perfect for sugarbushing. As for the evaporator, turkey fryer is on standby, and I will be using a 55 gallon drum with a stainless steel sink as a pan. Thanks to this website for the idea and a barn full of junk. Notched out a section on the side of the barrel so the sink can sit two inches into the fire. May rig some kinda preheater with old coffee cans on the the barrel. Gonna tap @ 20-25 trees. My grandad from quebec gave me some aluminum buckets and taps. Using a couple gatorade water coolers for transporting and storing. Sounds really redneck, but hey its a start right. Thanks again for all your input and encouragement. Hope to post pics of my setup soon.

RubberDuck
02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
No such thing as too redneck when you're backyard sugaring. Whatever works. I tapped the other day, almost nothing coming out except for 1 tree that produced about a quart of sap on Saturday. We'll see what happens this week as nighttime temps will be getting closer to freezing.

RubberDuck
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Quick update -- Checked my buckets yesterday, about 1 gallon out of a medium sized maple and about a quart out of a smaller red maple. Other larger trees are still bone dry.

Western MD Mapler
02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Well only tapped 10 trees and got ten gallons of sap. Boiled it Tuesday and got a little under a quart. Not bad for first time. Hope to post pics on next boil.

pamaple
02-10-2012, 05:15 AM
I am pretty close to you. I live in Markleton Pa and plan on tapping this weekend. Been busy building a new sugar shack which should be all done today. If your interested in some decent keellers I have hundreds of them I will sell you some cheap. Message me if your interested.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-13-2012, 03:48 PM
My Cousin in Markelton told me he was tapping today. He has 1200 taps.

Timberwolf
02-20-2012, 11:52 AM
I started last year and boiled on my kitchen stove.This year I'm boiling on a 3 burner high propane stove with a custom made syrup pan with 3 dividers and a preheater pan sitting on top. I'm boiling 4 gph and only have the burners turned about a 1/4 open. Probably could get more gph if I opened the burners up more. Doesn't matter what you use, just tap some trees and go for it. Be fore warned though, this sugar making is addictive!!

How much propane are you going through on your rig?

KV Sappers
02-20-2012, 06:25 PM
How much propane are you going through on your rig?
I tapped Jan. 24 and have boiled down 183 gal. of sap and have used 42 gals. of propane. Propane is not a cheap way to go but I like the convenience of it. If I need to go somewhere I can just turn my burners off and walk away. My biggest problem this year, was not enough pressure in my 30lb. tank. Next year, I'm going at least a 100lb tank or bigger.

Ma&Pa-sapper
02-22-2014, 07:47 PM
KV Sappers,
You might want to rethink that 100lb cylinder. Your lack of pressure is due to a lack of surface area inside your propane tank for the liquid propane to boil off into propane gas. Trying to run 3 large burners off of 1 tank is asking a lot of it. Most 30lb and 100lb cylinders are the same diameter so you will have more propane storage, but not an increased rate of gas production. You will need a propane tank with a greater diameter, or you could manifold 2 of the smaller tanks together doubling your surface area for your gas supply.

Ma&Pa-sapper
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Dang, first post and I put my foot in my mouth:emb:
Visually the 2 size tanks had always looked the same diameter to me, and they both froze up just as easily when running my construction heaters full bore off of a single tank. Checking more carefully online I found that there is a bit of an increase in size going up to a 100# cylinder.

Assuming a wall thickness of 1/8”
30# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 111.41 square inches of surface area
100# Manchester cylinder will give you roughly 172.27 square inches of surface area
30# Worthington will give you a roughly 113.10 square inches of surface area
100# Worthington will give you a roughly 162.41 square inches of surface area

If you were getting by on a 30# cylinder with just a little difficulty, it looks like a 100# cylinder may be the ticket. I just did not want you to invest in something that would not do the job.

http://www.missiongas.com/lpgbottledimensions.htm