PDA

View Full Version : whats needed to sell retail/ bulk to restaurants?

spencer11
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
just curious what is needed to sell syrup/candy to a restaurant/cafe/sell it retail from my sugar shack next year? one of my soccer coachs owns a cafe in town that would be interested in eventully selling my syrup and using it in his cooking. i also have a friend with a candle factory and an apple orchard that is interested in selling in the near future. i also want to sell more retail from my sugar house next year. what is needed? do i need to get anything instected?do i need a hood on my evaporator? thanks

spencer

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 09:35 AM
The most important thing that you need to have to retail or sell syrup commercially is to have EVERYthing food grade. No more saving money on almost food grade stuff...its all gotta be maple or food grade stuff. You don't necessarily have to have hoods over your pans but you need a sugar house. Selling to stores is a whole different business venture compared to selling directly to the customer. Sounds like you definitely have the customer base, the drive to get bigger, potential to get bigger. Just be careful and make sure you get all your research done with stuff in your area first. If your ever up in the sunapee area your more than welcome to come check out my set up...

spencer11
01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
thanks sugaringman85! i do have a vary large customer base. and a sugar shack coming next year. do i need to have anything instected before i start selling? (evaporator,canner,storage tanks) or does it all just have to be food grade. thanks

spencer

jmayerl
01-29-2012, 10:25 AM
You should contact your state food inspector. In Wisconsin if you resell to a retailer, everything is inspected. You are held to about the same standards as a restaruant and its a yearly $100 fee. If you sell at the shack or farmers market no inspection needed.

Ecnerwal
01-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Ag extension agent might be another good source of info to check in with.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
does anyone know who i call to get an instector to come out? or one of the ag agents? thanks for all the info guys

spencer

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
I can't remember the last time we had an inspector come through and check our stuff. They do random stop ins once in a while, but our last inspection was probably 5-6 years ago. If your making a quality product and you know that your sugar house, evaporator, canning unit and such are all in top shape you should be good. Inspectors are mostly looking for lead from the evaporator in your syrup, density of your syrup and basic cleanliness of the sugar house. Sounds like you are trying to do the best you can so you should be ok. Contact your UNH co-op extension office. Pretty sure the extension guy you need to get in contact with is Tim Fleury, he is the contact for merrimack and sullivan counties now. Tell him Tyler Webb sent you and he will help ya.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
thanks! i think i will contact him sometime over the summer/fall to see if i need him to come out. do they care about homemade stuff? like pans, canning units? as long as it is still food grade? thanks

spencer

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 03:34 PM
don't know i would assume it would be ok good luck with everything

spencer11
01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
thanks for all the help guys.kind of an off topic question but, sugaringman85 how do you get the link to your facebook page on your sugnature?

spencer

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 03:59 PM
just copied it from my page to my signiture thing here on the trader...i know its not an official website post but at least people can see what i do and there are some pictures of my orchard and stuff in there

spencer11
01-29-2012, 04:09 PM
thanks. thats what i was looking for.

spencer

oneoldsap
01-29-2012, 04:21 PM
You're going to want to have product Liability Insurance also ! Keeps others from living in your house .

spencer11
01-29-2012, 04:39 PM
what is product liabilty service?

spencer

wiam
01-29-2012, 06:01 PM
what is product liabilty service?

spencer

Product liability insurance. This covers if, heaven forbid, there is ever a problem with your product that makes someone sick. You also should have liability insurance on your sugarhouse if costumers go there.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
how much do they typically cost? not that i wont get it. thanks

spencer

gmcooper
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Spencer I do not know the NH Maple licensing laws but in most places you have to be licensed and inspected before you make the syrup not after.
Good luck getting going, its always nice to see young folks getting into sugaring!

spencer11
01-29-2012, 08:01 PM
thanks gmcooper! my dad works at the state so im sure he can ask around and find something. im not sure about the lisence laws here either...and i live here.

spencer

Dill
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Insurance isn't too bad. Call a farm insurance guy.
Or send me a PM.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
what should i use for storage tanks/collecting tanks, and tanks for my tubing to run into? where do i get food grade tanks? some people sell them on craigslist but how do i tell if they really arefood grade?

spencer

tuckermtn
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Spencer- you want to talk to Vicky Smith at the state agriculture department. She lives in Franklin and does the maple inspections for the entire state.
(603) 271-3685 or (603) 271-2753. Free service. She will send one sample out for lead testing if you have concerns.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks eric. that will really help me out! (p.s. those soda kegs are exactly what i needed) thanks.

spencer

Ecnerwal
01-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Plastic items often have a pictogram like a wine glass and fork molded into them. International-plastic-speak for food-grade.

With used containers, you can also look for labeling and leftover smell (and perhaps "where you're buying it from") that indicate it was originally a food container, and hasn't been used for something else since. Then you have fun getting the remaining (olive/pickle/pepper/whatever) smell out of the plastic... one reason stainless is preferred when you can manage it. Or less stinky things in plastic. Bleach is your second weapon with stinky plastic. Not buying it in the first place is your first weapon, but sometimes there's no other practical option. Dishwasher detergent "with enzymes" and HOT water (but don't melt the plastic) are the third level of attack. Keeping a sharp watch on craigslist when it's NOT sugar season can sometimes find you more attractive deals on stainless tanks - so can working the network of people in your area to find things that are not even on craigslist - the people that know a guy with an old dairy bulk tank in the barn who doesn't use a computer...

tuckermtn
01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Spencer- I have some plastic food grade stock tanks (look like blue kiddie pools) not sure what volume (how many gallons) you are looking for for tanks, but I have an extra you can use...

spencer11
01-30-2012, 07:01 AM
if i do end up getting to 250+ taps next year. i will need alot of storage. i have boiled everyday ater school until 9 or 10. (started at about 3:30).and i dont like it. so this year i plan on boiling friday night and saturday.(if soccer dosent get in the way!)
Eric, i may need more storage for this year. if you could sent me a could pictures that would be great. pm me. i am also willing to buy the tank if it is something you are willing to part with? thanks

spencer

spencer11
02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
so i got food grade tanks. all my pans/finisher/canner next year will be stainless. is that all thats needed to sell syrup out of my sugar house? thanks

spencer

02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
You will probably need some things in your sugar shack just contact the ag extesion

spencer11
02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
what kind of stuff do you mean? thanks

spencer

02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Sinks hot water potable water bathroom etc I am not sure about nh

spencer11
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
im not sure if i chose the right title for this thread now that i think about it. i dont plan on having a "store front", just selling out of my shack..is it basically the same thing? same regulations? i will have power in the shack but not a water line. is there still a way to get (hot) water in the shack? thanks

spencer

02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I think it would be way easier and quicker to talk to the inspector.

spencer11
02-06-2012, 03:35 PM
your probably right. so basically all food grade stuff with out lead is what i need. and should get inspected. thanks

spencer