PDA

View Full Version : When to tap

sams64
01-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I see that many are still holding out for late February to tap. I do not think that we have had a day here with below freezing temps in about 2 weeks. The long term forecast shows temps above freezing everyday for the next 10 days here in Rowley.

I have business travel in 2 weeks that I usually tap right after. I'm not really ready to tap yet, but I feel like I might miss the whole thing if I don't. Any thoughts or should I just say screw it and start working on fishing reels.

Sam

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
you can never say screw it come on now its sugaring....it only happens for a quick brief period in the spring. hold out and you won't regret it.

judgejp
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Put up 40 Buckets this am. all running 1 to 2 sec drips. 10 day forcast looks good for sap, bad for winter. I am tapping the next fifty . .more this afternoon and more tomorrow am. If the real season does materialize I'll ream the holes to try to extend the season if necessary
Pat

03weim
01-29-2012, 01:24 PM
I am getting the itch to start tapping but I'm afraid if we start to early we'll miss out on the rest of the season even though the last 2 weeks have had perfect temps for sugaring

Tithis
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Looks like we'd probably get some good sap flow for the next few days, but next week is looking to be pretty cold. I'll probably be tapping when that cold leaves.

Maxfields maple
01-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Im Waiting till the middle of february to tap.I think every bodys jumpin the gun this year.I want to boil too,but i will hold off a while.If the weathers not right i will tap end of feb no later.At least we wont be using snowshoes to maintain lines this year.

wcproctor
01-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know a lot of guys are starting up north. I think this week may be the week. It may be do or die(loose).

Randle
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Tapped about 200 in Lunenburg. Sap is running. Forecast calls for a bit of warm weather then a nice run of freezing nights, warmer days. Hoping for the best. This winter has been an anomaly.

sapman28
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Feb. 18-19 for our pipeline and March 3-4 for buckets, like we always do. it is still way to early. We are where Vt, NH, and Mass meet. We were in the wood all weekend working on our lines, it was very nice out and tempting, but still to early.

adk1
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
I will be ready for Presidents day weekend, that is when I plan on tapping