PDA

View Full Version : A plug for the syrup pan?

markr
01-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi everyone I have what I think is a odd question I have purchased a 2 x 4 small brothers evaporater over the summer and am still trying to get my mind wrapped around its use. The other day one of syrup producing neighbours stopped buy to give me quick rundown on using the evaporater he had alot of great information. He suggested that I buy a plug for my front syrup pan so that I can concentrate on making syrup on either the right or left side at one time on after I draw it of I can fill that side with sap and then finish on the opposite side next ( I hope I explained that correctly) He said thats what he does so that he doesn't get overwelmed all at once. So my question is what would I ask for when ordering a plug and where would I look for one.

Flat47
01-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Depending on your pan design, a plug will only complicate things in my opinion. Does your evaporator have raised flues in the back and a divided syrup section in front? Or, is it all a flat pan? Floats at the sap inlet and/or between pan sections?

Evaporators will run themselves meaning they will create a sugar gradiant that results in syrup at the drawoff and progressive less sweet concentrate as you work backwards to the sap inlet at the back of the pans. A plug will stop that gradiant and force you to constantly be adding sap when the rig could be doing it for you.

sugar ED
01-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone I have what I think is a odd question I have purchased a 2 x 4 small brothers evaporater over the summer and am still trying to get my mind wrapped around its use. The other day one of syrup producing neighbours stopped buy to give me quick rundown on using the evaporater he had alot of great information. He suggested that I buy a plug for my front syrup pan so that I can concentrate on making syrup on either the right or left side at one time on after I draw it of I can fill that side with sap and then finish on the opposite side next ( I hope I explained that correctly) He said thats what he does so that he doesn't get overwelmed all at once. So my question is what would I ask for when ordering a plug and where would I look for one.
Hi Mark r
Not sure but think .... As I call it a gate/plug , But After I been drawing off and - 1 to 2 hours befor I decided to shut down (for lack of sap / can't stand up any longer .lol / need to turn pan ,for sugar sand )
I was shown by an old friend , how to use a gate/plug (mine is SS and his was a piece of Copper) ,just alittle longer than twice as long as the wall is tall ,and about a 1 to 2 inches wider than the hole in the dividing walls ,folded over (to meet ends ) wow (got a 4" wall and 2" hole /plug with 9"x3" flat metal stock folded over hammerd tight togather )
How to use a gate/plug ,Just side it over divider wall hole in the last (mostly syrup channel) and keep float system working in rear ,from there ....((unless last of sap ...but thats another story, lol .)) Ok after plugged (in last channel/draw off channel) and at syrup >>>OR FOR FIRST TIMMERS !! almost to syrup (can go to rock candy or worst yet burn) if to hot yet ! after draining most of the channel (or all at a total shutdown) you can than open up the gate and continue on, or turn ur pans if sand is building up.Heat and fresh sap from rear pan will wash sand back to the other now draw off channel Making it lesslikely to burn sand to bottom of draw off channel .
I'm not sure where to buy one ,but can be made/cut (tin snips)-out of the SS kitchen sink. But the wife may have a complaint if it's the one she uses !
Hey hope this helps ! I wanted to be at the shack today, but the otherhaft thought not ,and she won,this time, lol . Good luck sappin ,Ed