PDA

View Full Version : Clean Pan

Retsapper
01-28-2012, 08:19 AM
I have a galvanized pan (very old) I used when I was a kid that appears to be in good condition but obviously needs cleaning. I would like to use it this spring and then upgrade next year if I decide to continue after many years of not making maple syrup. I would like suggestions on how to clean the pan or whether it should be used at all. Also where does one find ceramic blanket. Thank you for your input.

spencer11
01-28-2012, 08:28 AM
i would not use it at all. galvanized has lead in it and when it is heated it produces a toxic gas.i would use something made out o ss. i think you can get ceramic blanket here at bascoms- https://www.bascommaple.com/category/arch_installation_supp/ i would recomend arch board.(does the same thing but its hard and not very flexiable, and i think cheaper)

spencer

Ausable
01-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi Retsapper and Welcome to Maple Trader. I batch boiled on a galvanized pan for a lot of years. As You probably know - more care has to be given to galvanized pans - then to stainless or some of the others - to protect the pan coating. I would wash it good with warm water and a mild liquid detergent and maybe a dish washing sponge. Don't use anything abrasive - like steel wool. Rinse it out good with warm water and throughly dry with paper towels. The commercial syrup makers will all cringe at the thought of using galvanized as they have tour groups and inspectors and shiny metal and steam makes the customers oooooohhh! and Aaahhhhhh! and helps sell maple syrup. We backyarders are a different breed - all of us are a little crazy from making Maple Syrup in galvanized pans and we do it on the cheap so we can still enjoy maple syrup - but - have enough money left for the next house payment and utility bills. LOL - welcome back to the crazy world of maple syrup makers and mad hatters..........

Ecnerwal
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Hang it up as an antique curiosity, and grab something stainless (such as restaurant steam-table pans) to boil in.

Brent
01-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Retsapper and Welcome to Maple Trader. I batch boiled on a galvanized pan for a lot of years. As You probably know - more care has to be given to galvanized pans - then to stainless or some of the others - to protect the pan coating. I would wash it good with warm water and a mild liquid detergent and maybe a dish washing sponge. Don't use anything abrasive - like steel wool. Rinse it out good with warm water and throughly dry with paper towels. The commercial syrup makers will all cringe at the thought of using galvanized as they have tour groups and inspectors and shiny metal and steam makes the customers oooooohhh! and Aaahhhhhh! and helps sell maple syrup. We backyarders are a different breed - all of us are a little crazy from making Maple Syrup in galvanized pans and we do it on the cheap so we can still enjoy maple syrup - but - have enough money left for the next house payment and utility bills. LOL - welcome back to the crazy world of maple syrup makers and mad hatters..........

Did you ever get a batch tested for lead ..... might be a prudent thing to do.

Galvanized sap buckets are banned in some jurisdictions.... and they're cold.

Ausable
01-29-2012, 06:03 AM
Hello again Retsapper - and once again Welcome to Maple Trader. As a new Member to Maple Trader - it is most important that You get back into Maple Syrup making and don't get discouraged - right off the bat. I was afraid this might happen - as people today are programed to react to certain words. Did you notice the reaction to the word "Galvanized" - Only Ecnerwal suggested a cheap alternative - Stainless Steam Table Restaurant Pans. Some of the Guys also use stainless sinks with the drain holes plugged. You made it clear in your posting - that you are aware galvanized is not the best thing to boil in and that you would be upgrading nest year. Also that Your galvanized pan is in good shape. I would use the galvanized pan this year and make maple syrup and that is just my opinion - unless - of course - you find something better - that you can afford before the season starts. Again - Welcome to Maple Trader - - and may Your Maple Syrup be Extra sweet -------Mike---

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Retsapper, if I may ask, how many taps do you plan on having this year, and how many do you plan to go to in the next 2 or 3 years? They have some nice small pans that would be able to have a Cinder Block arch, and if you have a small number of taps, look into this.
Below is a link that i thought would give you a good price on a small set of pans. OTHERS PLEASE LOOK AT THIS SO TO MAKE SURE THIS IS A SAFE, CLEAN, AND GOOD PAN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maple-Syrup-Evaporator-Pan-set-16-x-30-x-7-Stainless-TIG-welded-/300646534584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffee0db8
Also, you could check with Jim Schumacher of Smokey Lake Maple Products.

spencer11
01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
yes that pan is fine to use. i looked into getting a pan set from him (andy wegner at wegner metal works) but held back just cause it was a little expensive for this year. they are made out of ss, t304 i believe. they seem like great pans. i would recomend having him put dividers in it if you decide to get a 2x3 or 2x4 pan. any questins just email him from ebay.

spencer

Retsapper
01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Retsapper, if I may ask, how many taps do you plan on having this year, and how many do you plan to go to in the next 2 or 3 years? They have some nice small pans that would be able to have a Cinder Block arch, and if you have a small number of taps, look into this.
Below is a link that i thought would give you a good price on a small set of pans. OTHERS PLEASE LOOK AT THIS SO TO MAKE SURE THIS IS A SAFE, CLEAN, AND GOOD PAN.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maple-Syrup-Evaporator-Pan-set-16-x-30-x-7-Stainless-TIG-welded-/300646534584?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ffee0db8
Also, you could check with Jim Schumacher of Smokey Lake Maple Products.

I Plan on 75-100 taps this year and could get to 200-300 in a year or two. I will look in to the pans you suggest as well as the other suggestions. Great site and thanks to everyone.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Retsapper,if you plan on going to 75-100+ this year, and 200-300 next yr, you might want a 2x5 or 2x6 because a 2x3 wont be fast enought for 200 taps. I plan on 70-100 this year, and i run a half pint and i know if i get 80gal one day i will be VERY buisy. Look a a lapierre 2x5 or 2x6.
http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?item=122&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapleguys.com%2Findex.php%3Fp age%3D1%26category%3D27
this should be okay for 75-100 this year and 200 or so. Just saying that a 2x3 wont handle 300 taps in your future.