PDA

View Full Version : About to start the evaporator...

Jec
01-28-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm about to start my evaporator with sap and do I add water then flush it out with sap? Or should I just put sap in? Help is appreciated.
Joey

delta757and767pilot
01-28-2012, 07:50 AM
Well the sap is basically water with our sugar content so...lol

RileySugarbush
01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Just fill it up with sap and go!

spencer11
01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
jec- how much sap are you getting/have? i still havent decied to tap up here.

spencer

Ausable
01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm about to start my evaporator with sap and do I add water then flush it out with sap? Or should I just put sap in? Help is appreciated.
Joey

Hey Joey! I'm guessing you have a continuous flow evaporator (pans are divided) and this is your first boil on it - did I guess right. If Ya never did a boil on it yet - I would do a test boil with water - just to get familiar with your rig and to see how everything works. When done and you are all excited with all the steam ya made - let it cool down - drain off - sponge out and dry your pans. Now You have an idea how it works and ya have some idea what might give you trouble in a real boil. Sooooooo - time to start boiling sap...... Now if you are drowning in too much sap and don't care about wasting some - use sap instead of water. What ever You do - the very best of luck...........

Jec
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Well I have done test boils, but I wanted to clean the pans before. So I just boiled water then drew it off from the flue pan drain and draw off valve as I added sap. Seemed to work well because I now have a noticable gradient. Thanks for the replies,
Joey

sweet willy
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
If you test fire with water you don't want to use any water kind of hard water. You might end up with baked on mineral deposits. Not easy to clean off, I would recommend, distilled water or run the SAP.

wiam
01-28-2012, 06:48 PM
I would put sap in it a not look back. I have never done a "test boil"

Brent
01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
You can see some start up instructions on the Leader web site. They suggest washing, then rinsing with a baking soda solution.
You can download a full set from the Leader site