PDA

View Full Version : New Tubing Tool

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I just got the tool of my dreams. Two handed, deluxe, with auto tension, cutter, and spreader. Nice tool, tried it on putting a strait connection in the woods, also made a drop, and it works great. Just wanting to say i finally got one, and anybody who is interested in getting a tool, get one, so much easier. :D

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I have a one handed tool and end up chasing the one end of the tubing when putting in drops when the tubing is pulled tight.:lol: how long would it take you to put in a drop line? it takes me about 35 seconds and sometimes over a minute if i have to go chasing the line.

spencer11
01-27-2012, 09:08 PM
im getting one of the one handed ones in the classifieds section. hope it works better than what im currentally doing.

spencer

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-27-2012, 09:17 PM
It will blow your mind compared to working tool less. I want to get a two handed tool. I could have never set up my new bush in time if i did not have my one handed tubing tool. I remeber last year getting blisters all over my right hand. see what being cheap gets you :lol:

spencer11
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
LOL. im a cheap kind of guy. i think i will get one of those CHEAP 2 handed tools from leader. the $134 one. :D

spencer

Ecnerwal
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Why not make one? You're planning to make pans, making one of these tools seems to be no big deal - many people have. Grab a few crummy vise grips at Marden's and have at it...

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Looks good. I dont know how much leverage it would have though. And i would start with a one handed tool. Lappierre has the a 93 dollar tool that is great. If i were you thats what i would get. The 134$ tool is meant for drop line instalation. The 93 dollar lappiere one is like the 99 dollar leader one but it has parallel movement and a tubing cutter. much better value. It is Item number TU431-000000XX page 32 in the catalog under the repair tool section.

spencer11
01-27-2012, 09:42 PM
thats what i was gonna get the 2 handed tool for, the drop line instalation. i think im gonna get the one he has for sale on here and see how it works out. being a gheap guy and all. if it works good ill keep it. im not going to be doing thousands of fittings but hundreds of them next year. but i will check out the one you recomended.

spencer

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-28-2012, 07:41 AM
I feel like a powerhouse going through, and putting in fittings, compared to chasing lines. I think itll only take a few seconds to do a drop line install if you do it right. i put in a few straight connectors, and re clamped some loose fittings, and its smooth. Its alittle harder to reclamp fittings if there is icy sap in lines though like thismorning, but i love this tool. Never leaving for the woods with out it.

sugaringman85
01-28-2012, 07:54 AM
If there is any tool out there that a sugar maker could buy would be the two handed auto tension tubing tool. It saves time, effort, and a lot of anguish. Not to mention large amounts of swearing and cursing at inanimate objects. Before i bought any tool i was using a torch to heat both ends of the splice i was making and then have to hold the fitting in while the tubing cooled. Then we switched systems and I bought the regular two handed tubing tool. Which was 110% better than the torch. After my tubing was 5 years old or somewhere around there the tubing started to stretch and it seemed like everytime i clamped onto the tubing i had to readjust the vise-grips or i would have tubing flying out of the clamp and more swearing would happen. Last year I put all new drops in and bought the auto tension tubing tool. I didn't swear once at the tool or the tubing, every time i grabbed onto the tubing it held. Don't be cheap its worth the investment.

side note for any tubing tool: make sure that the clamps don't get filled with snow and ice because then you can loose grip regardless of auto-tension or not. also if you can try and dislodge the frozen water/sap in the tubing before you try to make a connection because the fitting/tubing will be all f-ed up and swearing will happen.

spencer11
01-28-2012, 08:04 AM
im getting one of the tubing tools in the classifieds section. i already told him i was interested. its a 1 handed one. i figured it would be a good firt tubing tool for me. i dont think i will need it much this year. but next i will need all the high tech tubing tools. so any recomendations anyone has for me would be great. clarkfarmmaplesyrup-what tood did you get? it seems like you REALLY like it.

spencer

spud
01-28-2012, 08:10 AM
Your right in saying that the two handed tubing tool is a life saver. I have been out of sugaring for over 20 years. I did my share of cursing back then but now everything is so much easier. I can now put in 500 drops in a day and save a bunch of time. Just my spooler is allowing me to do 16 rolls of tubing in a day using the new slide fittings. Sugaring has gotten a lot easier over the years and i am very thankful for it. Maple research is a big part of why things keep getting better and better for all sugarmaker's.

Spud

highlandcattle
01-28-2012, 08:19 AM
could someone post a good pic? this is confusing with all the differenet manufacturers and discriptions. thanks.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Spencer-11: I got the two handed, auto tension tool. It has a tubing cutter, spreader, along with the auto tensioning. I believe it is one like the leader model, but i think it is a leader brand tool. Look on Leader's website.

spencer11
01-28-2012, 09:20 AM
is this the one you have? https://leaderevaporator.com/p-223-deluxe-double-tubing-tool.aspx
i might just get that one then. for next season that is. what is the difference between the two tools on this page? one says it doesnt do leader 30p and the other says thats all it does?

spencer

Maple Hobo
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Our work horse tool is this one: We refer to it as the "Two MAN tool" because its easier to use with two people.
https://leaderevaporator.com/p-210-two-hand-tubing-fitting-assembly-tool.aspx
For cutting in on existing or new sap lines, I like something to hold both parts of the line when I cut in.
For building drop lines... I turn it on its side and use it like a reloading press.
I cut 2 6" lengths of 3/4" maple line heated it a little and slipped them onto the handles as grips. It made the tool a LOT more comfortable to use long term.
Don't try to cut in AT the tree but with the fixed side of the tool against the tree.
The tubing spreader is helpful but I prefer a pair of wire cutters over the built in razer blade.
It can be a little bulky for general leak walks or light repair work hear and there on foot in the woods.

For lighter work or doing more mobile leak chasing we use the "One man tool" We have 2 of them because each tapping team will carry one too, just in case.
https://leaderevaporator.com/p-222-tubing-tool-compact-insert-and-cut.aspx
In the snow and ice the clamp can slip so you need to clean the teeth"threads" in it. I like a bore brush on a pistol cleaning rod.

Some fittings like the Lapierre end line slip rings can be a little bit of a pain to use unless you know how to hold them.
Leaders saddle connections with the swivle have nothing to squeese against (true with any tool on the dang things)

The ones with all the auto adjustments and stuff were heavier... Just like back packing, if I can save LBS in weight I can carry other things i need in the woods.
Just like the tubing drill for saddle installation... I can use a drill gun on slow and have the one less tool on me.

Well thats my 2 cents on the topic...lol

spencer11
01-28-2012, 08:30 PM
i was looking at that 2 handed(man) tool. how well does it work with one person?

spencer

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
I carry 2 buckets around the woods with me. They need organized horribly. And i guarantee there is an easier way to do it than buckets. how do you guys carry your equipment.

spencer11
01-28-2012, 09:03 PM
i carry a bucket, a thermos(untill i get my new tool!) and roll of tubing in a box. all towed in a trailer with my atv.

spencer

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Heres a pic of mine. 5198 5199

sugaringman85
01-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I have the same one as clarkfarmmaplesyrup

sjdoyon
01-29-2012, 08:45 AM
If you're working with 2", 1 1/2" and 1 1/4 line, the tubing tool is a must. Especially if you're working over your head (few areas on the side of the mountain that is not flat).

3x10 Inferno Arch
4,000+ Taps
7,5 HP Vacuum pump
Lapierre 600gph RO
3 SS 1500 gallon tanks
24x32 Sugarhouse

spencer11
01-29-2012, 08:46 AM
bascoms has one that looks identical to yours for $205. quite a bit cheaper than leaders deluxe tool. i think thas the one im gonna get.

spencer