PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Thermometer

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought a 5 inch face, 9 inch probe, 0-50 degrees, syrup thermometer from lappiere. I calibrated it on the stove before boiling in 3-1/2 inches of stirred boiling water. I took it to the evaporator right after.It would not go up to 0 degrees. not even close. But i had a hard boil! I do not have a port on the side for it. I have a standard set of drop flue set of pans.How could i use it.

Flat47
01-28-2012, 05:28 AM
With no port on your pan to screw the thermometer into, how did you have it mounted? I think the issue may be how much of the probe was in the boiling sap. Experiment in the kitchen to see just how much of the probe needs to be immersed.

wiam
01-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Do not get too wound up on calibrating thermometers. It is just a number. It will change everytime you boil anyways. Just use the hydrometer alot when starting each boil and note what temp says when hydrometer is at syrup.

mike z
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
What wiam said. The thermometer is a guide that tells you when you're close, the exact number you read at draw off makes no difference as long as the hydrometer says its go time.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I can boil blind with only a hydrometer. But I worry about when i am gone. I know my dad could handel it too but my pap and mother worry me without the thermometer. I am going to try to suspend it with wire. Wish me luck seeing it through all the steam.

Flat47
01-29-2012, 06:40 AM
You can also set it in the draw off box. It'll still read close and it'll be out of the steam. I hear you about boiling blind. Did it for years, but I can't go back. I stare at the thermometer forever. I just have to know where I'm at all the time. Kind of like look at your watch. You could just have looked, but in 2 more seconds you'll check again.