PDA

View Full Version : Local CT question on tapping

bradley12001
01-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I run 20 or so buckets in a small back yard operation (~2 acres). Some trees produce very well and some barely anything. Crowns all seem to be similar with some variation in size of the trunk. Does anyone vary the depth of their tap holes slightly to hit a sweet spot? Just wondering if maybe I am in too deep or something on trees that produce less? Its only my second year so any advice on how to maximize yield is welcome.

Thanks!

markct
01-27-2012, 08:59 PM
sounds like you tap red maples, they are very funny, some run, some dont. nothing you did wrong just how they are, i was kinda frustrated with mine, but now that i have about 650 of them on vacuum i can say they all run well that way!

DaveB
01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
When I started about 20 years ago or so I definitely think that I used to drill too deep but then again, the taps were larger then. I think that sap only flows in the over 1-1.5" of the tree if I recall correctly. I don't think there's a gain to drilling deeper. In fact, I think it takes longer for the tap hole to heal when you do.

killingworthmaple
01-28-2012, 06:18 AM
My buckets do the same some trees the other day gave me 3 gallons and others 3 cups. I have found when you tap early some trees take longer the start while others are running good. I know if a tree is shaded that will make a differents in the begining.

Nathan

bradley12001
01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks a lll I really appreciate the info!