PDA

View Full Version : tapping tomorrow - ne wis.

jfroe939
03-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Shawano County to be exact. Looking for 45 degrees during the day on Saturday and only about 27-28 for the low. About 275 taps to put out between Thur and Fri. I can't wait. I've been counting the days for a good month now. Sad to say, but it's one of the highlights of my year.

03-09-2006, 12:51 PM
I've been tapping just over 50 trees a yr for the past 8 or so seasons. Just for friends and family though. Sounds like your a bit larger than. Are they all hung or some on vacum? No real run here as yet...

In any event good luck

Sky

jfroe939
03-14-2006, 07:50 PM
We ended up with 23 on tubing, no vacuum and somewhere around 225 with pails. Sugar content was 2.7-2.9% on everything I brought in. Last year I was getting mid to upper 3's for % most of the season. I think that's still to come yet. It's early. Ended up making 21 gallons from Thursday through Sunday's run. I found that the sap we collected from Thursday through early Saturday made for tougher to strain syrup. Sunday's syrup strained very easy for whatever reason. Lots of crap in it, but it strained well. It's weird... every year I get so pumped for making syrup and after 4 days of running through the woods with a sore back, legs and feet I quickly question my sanity. Still alot of fun as long as the firing wood is already made before season starts.

Sugarmaker
03-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Sane people dont make good syrup. They buy it.
Chris