PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

newman_maple
01-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I started tapping this evening. I plan to finish tapping all my own trees tomorrow and wait a week or so to tap the rest. Crazy weather has me worried, but no point in waiting. I have had years when my biggest week was the 2nd week in Feb. I hope to get back to around 150 taps this season after dealing with only 100 last year following spinal surgery.

maplekid
01-28-2012, 09:28 AM
hows the flow looking?

newman_maple
01-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I am getting ready to go out to tap the rest around the house. With only a quick look, I would guess I have averaged less than 1/2 gallon per tap - maybe less than that. It never dropped to freezing last night and the temps are staying in the 30's today. Three freezing nights ahead with a big warmup Monday should make for a decent week ahead.

maplekid
01-28-2012, 07:40 PM
there will be a warm up in my area around wenesday hopefully. i have all taps out now. pans and filters are good to go. but... i dnt have bottles yet. gunna have to bulk store till i can get the jugs.

buckeye gold
01-28-2012, 09:11 PM
newman, I'm just up the road from you (Ross County). Last week I had some good runs, I've boiled 7 days now. Yesterday was down and no run today, but Monday looks like the sap will be up. Last year Feb. 14th through the 22nd was my biggest runs. I had two more big days in late Feb. then it crashed and I pulled taps march 12th.

newman_maple
01-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Buckeye, I am about an hour from Chilicothe. I have 70 taps out now and hope to boil by mid week. The forecast looks great for Monday. I have had some taps out by the end of January 3 of the last 4 years. That is not to say it might have hurt more than helped, but I have had good luck for the past several years. That same week last year was by far my biggest too. I collect 650 of 1540 gallons that week. I pulled taps March 9th. It was a perfect year for me. I collected all but three days and was never overwhelmed. I had the fewest number of taps and made the most syrup than any of the past four years.

newman_maple
01-29-2012, 07:20 PM
I ended up with 65 gallons today so I started boiling this evening. Tomorrow should be great with a freezing night and very warm day. It should stop through the week though with the warm up. Hopefully it will freeze again late week.

newman_maple
01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
140 gallons off 70 taps. Only a couple trees are still running. I hate the weekday boils, but too warm to wait. I hope it freezes this weekend to get things going again. I will tap my folks land and my niece will tap on their place as soon as it looks promising again.

buckeye gold
01-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I had about 80 gallons today, finished 70 of it off and dumped the other 10 as it was from some low sugar trees. It was running some today, but slowing up because oof warm temps. It was 62 here today! I have not bottled my syrup from today, but it looks like a gallon plus. I left my pan sweet and steaming so I'll get an early draw tomorrow.
Newman, I'm in Bainbridge, we're practically neighbors.

newman_maple
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Bainbridge is not far at all. Hopefully, this heatwave will end soon!

newman_maple
02-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I finished getting another 72 taps in this morning. It is not running yet, but it is supposed to freeze Sunday night and looks like a decent week. We bottled a little over 3 gallons this afternoon from last week's run. My niece tapped a few trees at her place today - not sure how many yet (I gave her 25 buckets and lids). I should be somewhere around 160 taps now. I just hope the weather cooperates this week. It looks promising for 3-4 days at least.

newman_maple
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
142 taps out here and another 25 at my sister's house where my niece collects for me. Only got 55 gallons of sap this afternoon. I am hoping for much better things soon.