PDA

View Full Version : sugar house roof pitch and cupola or not

Ragged View
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Any thoughts on benefits (or not) of going to a steep pitched roof. I'm thinking metal roof so a steep would shed snow better when not in use, also give storage possibilities. Downside, longer rafters and more roof.
Also, who has tried non-cupola venting options & how did it work out?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Mark

spencer11
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
pro's to a steep roof-sheds snow, any water on inside from steam runs down instead of dripping. cons-more roofing needed, hardto make an addition, better venting required(my opinion). i rarely see sugar houses with out a cupola even if they have a steam hood maybe just a vent?

spencer

Bucket Head
01-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Mark,

Thats a good question. I've wondered too about which style roof is preferred. I hope a lot of folks chime in here on this.

Steve

Tweegs
01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I went for a 4/12 pitch largely because I’ll have to get up there once in a while, and I’m the world’s foremost authority on falling. I made up for the shallow pitch by adding 10 foot walls. If I can’t fall from a steep pitch it may as well be a long drop.

Seriously though, as long as your pitch is enough to handle the snow load in your area, I think the pitch is a matter of personal preference. The same holds true for cupola vs. no cupola. You might want to weigh the cost of hoods and stack against the cost of adding a cupola to help with the decision. I got the chance to visit several sugar houses in southern Michigan. I saw just as many shacks with stacks as I did with cupolas.

gmcooper
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
My sugar house has 5/12 pitch with metal roofing. Snow still slides off most of the time after a day or two at most. Also have a cupola.

sjdoyon
01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Your local builders in NH are probably going to tell you to go with a 6 pitch (we did on ours). You can still get up and down on the roof. You should go with a cupola to give you options in the event you don't go with a steam away (pricey).

3x10 Inferno Arch
4,000+ Taps
7,5 HP Vacuum pump
Lapierre 600gph RO
3 SS 1500 gallon tanks
24x32 Sugarhouse

Hal
01-29-2012, 08:24 AM
If it doesn't have a cupola, it isn't a sugarhouse.

If you don't believe that, ask any tourist/flatlander/whatever local disparaging name you give them.

Seriously the cupola is worth a little bit in advertising/public relations, whatever you want to call it. It makes the building look a little bit less "industrial", especially if it has a low pitch roof, and anything other than board siding. If you aren't near a road, or don't sell retail from the sugarhouse it doesn't make that much difference.

If I build a new building, I would make a solid roof, cut a hole for a steam stack, and build a cupola over it.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-05-2012, 05:25 AM
8/12 here, just hoping I dont get the hot drips back down from the metal roofing
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Sugaring/Picturegarage002.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e234/poultneyfiredog18/Sugaring/Picturegarage010.jpg

allgreenmaple
02-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Im thinkin Rus, that with enough pitch, u may not get drips, it will run back toward eaves. I have 10/12 pitch on mine, I think (hope), it will do just that......

allgreenmaple
02-05-2012, 06:01 AM
A pic....http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z463/allgreenmaple/sugarhousepics001.jpg

sugar ED
02-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi all ,I call it my Sugar Shack? but it don't have a cupola .Was going to put it up last summer after sap season, but after I boiled ( spring 2011 ) I loved it the way it was! all up stairs windows open and hinged eve's. If you want a steam an a beer, just sit up stairs .With the steep metal roof, no snow on roof and water from steam just runs out the eves .
Looks like It's on fire from the road durning a boil. Even had someone stop and ask if I wanted them to call the fire dept. Guess if I'd a had a cupola they would have kept on going ...Instead of getting a gallon to go !