PDA

View Full Version : How Long Canned Syrup Keep?

SugarMama
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
We have some syrup left from 2011 season that has been canned in Mason jars. Everything is sealed up, looks great, no mold. How long will it keep? It could be a slow sapping season here so should we just keep eating it through the rest of this year or shall I start making some maple candy with the old stuff? Thanks

spencer11
01-27-2012, 02:57 PM
welcome to mapletrader! it should keep for awhile you should be able to use it or you could make candy aout of it. thats the same way i store it. if its sealed dont think it will ever go bad. its just basically pure sugar.

spencer

01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
If it ever molds just scoop off tHe mold bring it to a boil and it's good to go

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-27-2012, 04:16 PM
As long as it was hot packed and remains sealed it will probably be good for longer than most of us will be around. I have eaten syrup canned by my Grandmother over 30 years old and it was fine. It did darken with age.

Ausable
01-27-2012, 04:26 PM
We have some syrup left from 2011 season that has been canned in Mason jars. Everything is sealed up, looks great, no mold. How long will it keep? It could be a slow sapping season here so should we just keep eating it through the rest of this year or shall I start making some maple candy with the old stuff? Thanks

First of all SugarMama welcome to Maple Trader - Great bunch of Guys and Gals on this Site and I have learned a lot since joining. I will just echo everyone else. It keeps for a very long time in canning jars. You are sure to hear different - but - Just like Thompsons Tree Farm says - He ate some of his Grandmothers from 30 years back and it was still good. Wow! - I had some eight years old and it was good - but 30 - I'm really impressed. ----As You already know - just keep it in the fridge once you do open it.

Maple Hobo
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Old timee lesson: Sugar is a preservative....
Maple syrup is a sugar... and a preservative.

Ecnerwal
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Keeps a long time, years and years, especially if you gave it the full canning regime of preheating the jars and lids, etc. Lacking niter knowledge, I'm pretty sure we even did the boiling water bath on them (old style, few inches of water and the lid on the pot not the new style fully submerged stuff they are promoting now.) Not that I recall getting any niter from that...

I've had syrup grow a bit of mold, but it wasn't the stuff canned (with proper care) in mason jars, it was the stuff rather more casually stuffed into a gallon glass cider jug at the end of the season when I had filled every mason jar we had, bought more, filled them, and opted not to buy any more, but still had syrup. Removed the mold, boiled the syrup, even that was fine.

Sugar keeps even better, and would have been a better thing for me to have done with my excess that year.

rookie
01-27-2012, 09:33 PM
i had some that i hot packed in a syrup jug that molded,dunno if it had a defective seal on the cap or what, skimmed it, boiled it , and enjoyed it! tastes just as good as anyother syrup i've made (Why does mine taste better than anyother) probably i can just taste the hard work more! lol

red maples
01-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Had a gentleman at the annual NHMPA today said he had someone called him with a jug that they found in there closet and gave him the number he put on the bottom of the jug and he looked back said it was from 2007 (this was last year 2011) so it was in plastice bacon jug for 4 years and no mold no fermenting no grade change and supposedly tasted great. So as long as you packed it correctly it seems it will last a very long time!!!