PDA

View Full Version : Dividers in pan

Johnbizz
01-26-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a 3'x5' flat pan I was gowing to put 4 dividers in it. I am hoping to finish in it, is it to many? Or is 2 good ? This is the only pan I have. All new to me. Any help would be good. Thank Johnny B

SeanD
01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the Trader.

Go with the four dividers if possible, though with a pan that big, you can do all sorts of things. You could subdivide the pan into a 3' sap pan in the back with one or two dividers and a 2' syrup pan in front with four. That way your near-finished product will be on the front of your arch where it's hottest and won't have to travel all the way to the back of the pan where temps are cooler. Plan the exact number of dividers so that you are drawing off where you want to - either on the front or the side. Either way you go, the more dividers you have, the easier it will be to finish on the evaporator.

Good luck. Include pics of your progress.

Sean

unclebuck
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
if you go with the 4 dividers and your draw off are in the back on both sides you could put a pot with a valve soldered in to supply the first flue and draw off the 4 flue.Then after 4-5 hours you can switch direction and supply the 4th flue anddraw off the syrup from the first flue this is how my leader american pan is built. when you go to switch directions you want to draw some extra sweet off and put it in the furthest side you drew off from to get the syrup moving to the other side good luck there is a ton of information on this site

Johnbizz
01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
That is what I was going to do. put 4 in and have a drawoff in front(side),and one in the back(side). To reverse the flow. In opposite corners!

sugar ED
01-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Hi Johnbizz
"That is what I was going to do. put 4 in and have a drawoff in front(side),and one in the back(side). To reverse the flow. In opposite corners! "
Your right Johnbizz , But to reverse the flow you will need to turn the pan around .(3x5 pan with sap/syrup in it) HEAVE !and you need to shut down to do it. Pan gasket wears out quick and is hard to keep in place .
Unless ... u have holes in dividers at both ends with plugs/gates (Seen in old copper pan and a few SS pans) .Just plug the opposit ends (divider) to reverse the flow !
A friend of mine in Vt. is looking for a place to buy the plug/gates for a ss pan he has. I made mine . but he want the "clamp" type So if anyone Knows where thay are forsale Please let me know .Thanks, and hope this helps .
Ps tappin starts tomarrow for me ,With this weather ! the buds are out on my blueberries bushes and the maples don't look to far behind !!!
And most of the BIG sappers (w/VAC sys.) around here have allready started tapping ! Fulton ny started yesterday gravity fed ,pals/bags
Good luck sapping !!!