PDA

View Full Version : Sap storage Barrels

royalmaple
03-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I just purchased some barrels from a local guy that sells food grade barrels. I picked up one white 60 gallon ( had coke syrup) and a few of the black screw on top 50 gallon olive barrels.

The Olive barrels had some left over olive juice in them. I rinsed in hot water, then added a little bleach and more hot water, then rinsed them again in just hot water about 4 times. Still has an olive odor to them, anyone used these before and if so any problems?

Thanks.

Fred Henderson
03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I have used then with no problem. Have also used pickle pails ( plastic) that had dill pickles with garlic and no problem with them either.

VA maple guy
03-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Matt, I;ve been using a 55 gallon pickel barrel for a few years, it still smells like pickels, but it does not effect the syrup at all. I also use some six gallon buckets to collect sap with, they had chicken broth in them and still smell like chicken. My syrup does not tast like chicken. Your barrels will work just fine.
Gerry

royalmaple
03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys, I thought they would be fine.

I was talking to a dealer the other day and he mentioned buying sap if I had too much. Yeah right, I need some first. But he mentioned that someone brought sap to him one year in a tank that smelled like pickles and he refused the sap. I didn't say anything but I was trying to put myself in that guys shoes, I hope he didn't dump the tank just on that opinion. But not knowing any different, he may have.

I have many of the 5 gallon pickle buckets from stores, I have rinsed them with bleach and lot of water, still smell like pickles but I can't see that it will hurt anything.

The olive barrels were just pretty strong, but I am sure over time they will come out of it. Or I could care less as long as it does not effect the sap. Now I just need something to fill them with.