PDA

View Full Version : is there anybody out there?

bowtie
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
not seeing any activity on this so i thought i would try to start something. just watched the weather 7 day forecast looks perfect for sap. boy i know it is early but i am tempted to try a couple test taps this weekend. i know it is probably going to get colder at some point but what the heck if i tap a few and they are running i do a few more , if not is no big deal i will just go back to spending way to much time on this site.
please let us know if any of you are going to try a couple taps and if so how they are running.

Ecnerwal
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
some are, some are not.

Having done it (as an impatient know-it-all teenager) in the era of metal spiles and buckets, it generally didn't work all that well. There is evidently more hope of it working with new plastic check valve spouts, since the holes are less likely to dry up for good when normal weather returns, so they might actually run in the regular season. Late Jan/early Feb is normally the coldest part of the year, so despite that good looking forecast, I'm a bit skeptical that the season is here yet. But there are several threads of people already tapping, so you are not looking where I'm looking if you are "not seeing any activity on it." Some are all in and some are tapping 1/3-1/2 now, saving the rest for later. Some are further south and probably are in season, but some folks up north have seen the same things you have and had the same thought.

Good luck.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I am located in Northeast Pa. Montrose Area, and tapped 20. Ill let you know how they are running, but a friend tapped 200 of his and got 150 gallons supposedly yesterday. I will tap the rest in the normal season.