PDA

View Full Version : A great man gone

maple flats
01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
He was not a maple man, but he loved the product. My 93 yr old uncle died and we are going to Culpepper, Va for the services. Uncle Bob, Dr Robert Van Nostrand, my mom's brother was an internationally respected geophysicist, and was the most intelligent, humble man I have ever known. If anyone is interested, here is a biography from 2006 when he was made an honorary member of the Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Yes I'm bragging!!
Uncle Bob has been my favorite uncle (out of 9 total), he always took time to take my brother and me either camping or exploring. One such trip he took us just outside of town to an old quarry and gravel pit to find and learn about fossils, We learned how to open the rocks and he identified all fossils found. One interesting point is that one of my sugarbush leases borders that quarry and I took my grandson to explore there when we were pulling taps and cleaning tubing. I however did not remember the names and dates of the creatures fossilized in those rocks.
If anyone is interested in reading about this great man visit http://virtualmuseum.seg.org/bio_robert_van_nostrand.html and read the biography one of his peers wrote for the Society of Exploration Geophysicists.
Now, I'll miss another weekend of prep for maple season, but I've GOT to attend his services, 8 1/2 hrs away.
Dave

01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Sorry to here about your uncle.

Clarkfield Farms
01-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Hey, Dave. Again, our condolences. That's a great read, but just from what you were telling me on Saturday, there's a lot more than just his professional accomplishments to brag about. Like I said earlier, those are life influences that shape you in ways that cannot be duplicated any other way. We all need to seek after excellence and infuse that into the lives of others. His was indeed The Great Generation; I wonder if their selfless examples of leadership and sacrifice will ever again be manifested so abundantly. We are so sorely in need of that today.

We're sorry for your loss, but very glad that you had that influence in your life; as a friend, I can tell you that it shows in how you treat people. Thank you for continuing that.

Z/MAN
01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Sorry for your loss Dave.

Bucket Head
01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm very sorry Dave. My father and I offer our condolences. Obviously he lived an exceptional life, and the memories you have of being included in that life, in time, will lighten the heavy heart you have today.

Steve

spud
01-26-2012, 07:37 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Dave. I can only hope that your uncle's passing will bring you and your family closer to Christ. All things work together for good to those who love God.

Spud

maple flats
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Thank you all. While we are saddened to have him pass we feel honored to have known him. He had a very long life and he came to see us at Christmas time. When he was here, my cousin took a picture of him and his sister (my 90 yr old mom) We were so blessed to have him visit just 3 weeks before his passing. I gave him some syrup, which he dearly loved. He often came to visit (he lived over 7 hrs away nonstop) during maple season and always left with plenty of the golden nectar.

sRobinson
02-03-2012, 04:54 AM
I am sorry for your loss, hope you get better soon. Let the taste of syrup remind you of this great man whose spirit is still there with you. God bless you!