PDA

View Full Version : What size transfer pump for distance?

Redmaple
01-24-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm trying to figure out what pump will work for a 1000' stretch? I have to empty a lower tank up to another tank about 1000' that sits about 10' higher elavation. Will a small gas pump push that far? Will a cheap 3/4 hp electric well pump work? Thanks for any advice.

Ecnerwal
01-24-2012, 10:22 PM
A half-horse electric will probably work fine, though sometimes 3/4 is actually cheaper. The pump needs to deal with the 10 foot head, which is easy, and the friction head of the 1000 ft pipe, which merely slows things down unless you happen to have large pipe. But it is well within a cheap, small well pump's reach unless you have really high rate of sap flow you need to keep up with.

At only 10 feet of head, you can suck or blow depending where power is easier to come by. If you have power at both ends, blowing will work slightly better. You would want something self-priming if sucking, which probably outs many well pumps, but food-grade diaphragm pumps will work.

I have a 3/4 horse 8 GPM all stainless well pump 300 feet in the well and 100+ feet from the well to the building, and my recollection of the calculations (without bothering to redo them) is that adding another 600 feet of pipe (1") would be a very minor issue - in fact, the thing would probably need a restriction valve to keep it from overpumping itself if the static head was only 10 feet, despite the added friction head. Loking that up quickly, 1000 feet of 1" plastic pipe at 8 GPM would be 39 feet of friction head.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure-loss-plastic-pipes-d_404.html