PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump motor

Greenwich Maple Man
01-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on the Powerhorse Motors form Northern Tool. Was looking at a couple of them for some vacuum pumps. Any thoughts on these?

Bucket Head
01-24-2012, 09:31 PM
My only thought is where do you get parts for them? Same thing with Harbor Freight engines. They might be fine, and run a long time without needing any service parts, but if you do need something quickly, right in the middle of sugaring season, then what? I like to have something that has a good parts and service line behind it, and in town. Or at least nearby. Just like tractors. No 'Who Flung Poo' brand equipment for me. Is there a lawnmower or small engine shop near you that can get parts for that brand engine? Or do you just plan on running it until it quits and then getting another one? I guess there'd be nothing wrong with that if they were cheap enough.

Also, as far as a vacuum pump motor went, I'd question the reliability of it. If you were just pumping sap and it quit, and had another pump handy, so be it. But it would be bad if the vacuum pump quit and you did'nt know it! I know several guys who spent the money and went with the bullet proof Honda engines. They start them, and they don't shut off until they shut them off, or they run out of gas! They are as reliable as an engine can get.

Steve