PDA

View Full Version : Pulling tubing out of storage. Is it still good?

The Sweet Spot
01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
My wife and I bought a maple syrup buisness from an older couple, that took perfect care to put it away well. I am sure they did not intend for it to be there for 5-6 years. Everything from squirrels to chipmunks have chewed and nested in some of it.:o I am thinking of taking most lines apart and giving the fittings a good cleaning. Has anyone gone through this before and do you have any suggustions. Should I cut all of the latteral lines apart and see what we can use. Should I keep all of the fittings and replace all the tubing. :confused::confused:

Starting Small
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
I can't help you with the tubing question but how did you find out about this business being for sale. I have never seen a sugaring business for sale in a publication. Maybe I just have not looked very hard or was it just word of mouth if you do not mind me asking? Thanks,

The Sweet Spot
01-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I was looking for material to make an evaperator. Basicly got tired of boiling in chafing pans over a made up arch. Someone told me about the equipment and we bought it.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
If you cut the tubing from the fittings, you will likely nick the fittings. This will cause leaks if you are on vacuum. Might be ok for gravity. Old plastick fitting are often brittle. If you reuse them, be sure they will not break as soon as pressure is exerted on them. They are most likely best used to recycle. My opinion.

Four D Acre Farms
01-25-2012, 06:58 AM
Thompsons tree farm has it right if the fittings are not brittle go ahead and use again but only if on gravity they will leak on vacuum.:cry: i was given two BIG boxses of tubing and am cutting out the tees to reuse (came from larger producer, he was changing lines) as long as cleaness is not an issue. definintly replace all spiles with new (should be done every year) unless stainless that you can boil. For you best results this year replace all lats. you may want to price out replacing the fittings vs labor to remove them from the tubing, you may find easier and not that expensive, plus then you will know exactly what you have and what kind of life you should get out your equipment :cool:

spud
01-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure how many taps your talking about in your operation. I also don't know how much money you have to spend. If it was me i would throw out all the tubing and fittings and start new. This will give you the most sap possible. Just setting up the woods will cost you $5.00-$6.00 per tap if you do it yourself. I hope you have a great year.

Spud

GeneralStark
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure how many taps your talking about in your operation. I also don't know how much money you have to spend. If it was me i would throw out all the tubing and fittings and start new. This will give you the most sap possible. Just setting up the woods will cost you $5.00-$6.00 per tap if you do it yourself. I hope you have a great year.

Spud

I agree. The time it will take to salvage the old tubing vs. installing new is something to consider. Another thing to consider is the age of the tubing. If old enough it could be PVC which is not so good to use. Cut off a small piece and throw it in water. If it is PVC it will sink.

The Sweet Spot
01-25-2012, 04:58 PM
There is enough tubing to run 2000 taps. It is not older then 8-9 years, with 5-6 of this in storage out of the sun. Most of the tubing was hung, and none seems to be brittle. I have seen a fitting removal tool that claims not to nick your fittings. Has anyone used these before?

sjdoyon
01-25-2012, 06:31 PM
We need to assist in filling out the survey. The research done by UVM Proctor Research directly benefits what we love to do.

Thanks to those who have completed the survey so far....but we need a LOT more participation. Please complete the survey at
http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey...IONKG_c3f8cb68

Don't make me come out there and get you.
Dr. Tim Perkins
UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc

The Sweet Spot
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Dr. Tim I would respond to the survay but have not tapped with tubing before. Before this I was a bucket guy 50-60 taps!

DrTimPerkins
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
....Has anyone gone through this before and do you have any suggustions. Should I cut all of the latteral lines apart and see what we can use. Should I keep all of the fittings and replace all the tubing. :confused::confused:

My suggestion....throw it away and start fresh.

DrTimPerkins
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
We need to assist in filling out the survey. The research done by UVM Proctor Research directly benefits what we love to do.

Thanks to those who have completed the survey so far....but we need a LOT more participation. Please complete the survey at
http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey...IONKG_c3f8cb68

Thank you for helping to spread the word about the survey.....keep them coming folks. Send the link to folks you know. We'd really like to get 500-1,000 participants. We're at about 110 right now, so need a lot more.

sugar ED
01-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Dr. Tim
Your link don't seem to be working from here .Is there another way to get there ?, or is the survey done ? Thanks, Ed