PDA

View Full Version : TIG weld copper?

mark bolton
01-24-2012, 10:07 AM
With all the talk about copper pans I would like to know if anyone has TIG welded copper pans? I suspect they are usually soldered. If so what is the technique for TIG welding them?

smokeyamber
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I would think tig on copper would not be fun, but maybe a welder would chime in otherwise. Soldering copper on the other hand is the way I would do it myself, way easier and with lead free silver solder it would be plenty strong enough. Another option is using gas welding and braze it, though that may have lead involved. I have also done soldering on stainless and though it was a pain, it was alot easier than me learning tig. :mrgreen:

Big_Eddy
01-25-2012, 08:29 AM
TIG is the only way to weld copper. As copper is a very good conductor, more heat is required than would be for a comparable stainless or steel pan. More heat leads to more warping. The key is to weld small sections quickly, and step around your pan, stitch welding in ~1" sections. It's easy to get carried away and melt a large hole. The issue is that you need lots of heat to start the puddle, but once you get a puddle established you need to quickly ramp down the heat to prevent blowing through.

Use a small tungsten, with pure argon.

Copper does not have the same issue as stainless with "sugaring" so there is no need to protect the rear side of the weld with intert gas.

Be sure to clamp the pieces well, and a very tight fitup is best. If possible, use no filler and fuse the two edges together. If filler is required, deoxidized copper filler is available. Electrical wire can be used in a pinch - clean it well first.

I've done it, but I wouldn't consider myself good at it.