PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator left overs

Jim Brown
03-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Looking for a little direction. I boiled a week ago and ran out of sap.I left the evaporator with partial boiled syrup in the finish pans and the concentrate in the arch. The weather as been REALLY COLD and the liquid turned to slush in the evaporator and in the finish pan. Any reason why I could not just warm it up and star boiling as the sap starts to run in the next two days? It has been sitting for 7 days .
Thanks
Jim

Dave Y
03-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Jim,
I have boiled left overs in the past with no negitive results. If the weather was real warm I would be concerned.Since it hasn't I would start my boil with what is in the evaporator.

Nice article in the Oil City Derrick. Congrats

Jim Brown
03-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply and my Grand Daughter was quite a hit in school on Monday! And my daughter was asked to bring in samples for the class.
Thanks Again
Jim

lharris1
03-08-2006, 11:00 AM
Jim, I agree. As long as it is cold we leave the sap and syrup in the evaporator and start up again when the sap flows. Once this year we did empty the evaporator and boiled off some grade B on a stove pan to get a fresh start and make lighter syrup.

We also operate a 2x6 WaterlooSmall. Is your raised flue? Do you have pre-heater and what kind of boil rates are you getting? How long have you been doing this?

Jim Brown
03-08-2006, 11:29 AM
This is my second year in the retail busniess, first year with this rig. Used a DG 18"x44" last year TO SLOW!!!. Ours has a raised flue and a full steam hood even out over the finish pans.We fire with seasoned maple and oak and seasoned hard wood boards we get from the local klin drying mill. We have a forced draft and when the air is right we can do about 30-32 per hour with a stack temp of 650-700 degrees. We do not have a pre heater but we are looking at some ideas for next season.

Sugarmaker
03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Jim B.,
How close are you to Albion? If you get a chance stop by (I know you are busy as the rest of us right now). Are you a member of the NWPAMaple association?

Chris

sweetwoodmaple
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Jim - where's the mill that you get your boards?

I am burning on kiln dried oak this year, and it is great.

Jim Brown
03-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Brian; The mill is in Franklin and they leave the gate open from 7:00am until 3:30pm. M-fri. The drop off's are just inside the gate. The pile is as big as a house!Send me an e-mail and I will give you a call.
Jim
Chris; We joined the NWMPA in Jan and attended the meeting in the spring. and Yes we have tried the maple mustard!
Thanks
Jim