PDA

View Full Version : 6 Way Stars and 5/16" or Dual 1" for New Ladder?

Sunday Rock Maple
01-24-2012, 04:28 AM
If you were building a new ladder would you use 6 way stars with 5/16" lines or two side by side 1" vertical main lines?

I have the main lines run (1") and 5/16" lats done for two seperate sap ladders. One has 263 taps and the other 364. Both are lifting about 12 feet each but I broke this up into two lifts of about 6 feet each for each ladder (so really I have 4).

I'm thinking that if I use 6 way stars then (at 15 taps per 5/16") I would need 4 stars for the bigger one and 3 for the smaller. Multiply this times two for top and bottom stars and then times two again for two seperate lifts per and I'm at 28 6 ways stars plus about a roll of 5/16".

Long term I'd like to put a small 500 tap reverse releaser on each but that won't happen this year.

What do you guys think would be best?

Thanks,

Brian

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Brian,
I think you are under-sizing when you are talking of the 6 way star ladders. Usual recommendations are for 60 taps per star and I have talked to industry people who suggest as few as 25. Reasoning being that fewer taps per star means better and more consistent vacuum transfer. I have had good luck using both the stars and the 2 pipe system. I have begun using the 2 pipe systrm almost exclusively for larger ladders at this point as they are so much quicker and cheaper to install. I have also used the comercial sap lifts and they work well.
Doug

tuckermtn
01-24-2012, 05:52 AM
as doug said, two pipe is the way to go on that many taps.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks fellas!

It certainly does seem like a simpler install to go with the two pipe method. From reading past posts I think a valve is needed at the bottom to drain at the end of the season and (possibly?) crack to let a little air in. Does one of the two vertical lines also need a valve to adjust with?

Brian

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
The valve is ok to drain with but in my opinion everything works best if you do not introduce any leaks. All the leak does is make it look like the sap is really jumping, doesn't move any more sap any faster. I don't put a valve in one of the pipes. Works fine without it.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
01-24-2012, 08:58 PM
i put a valve in 1 line on mine but like thompson said it is for looks dont think you need it. i dont use mine anymore