PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

Tom59
01-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi all, am new to the site & to makin syrup. Last year was 1st time, put in 8 taps, (actually brass nipples as I couldnt find any real taps.) in my backyard kinda late, (last minute idea). Boiled on a propane burner with a large SS pot. Yielded about 3 quarts. Now I want more! Shooting for twenty taps this year. Plan on making a barrel evaporator from 55 gallon drum. Bought a stove kit from tractor supply, and aquired a couple of steam pans. Been surfing this site a lot and got lots of ideas. Great info here! Also bought Rink Manns book Backyard Sugarin today. Great info there also. Looking for any & all info anyone can give on building evaporator and anything else I may need. Thanks In advance. (Located in CT)

sugar ED
01-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Hi all, am new to the site & to makin syrup. Last year was 1st time, put in 8 taps, (actually brass nipples as I couldnt find any real taps.) in my backyard kinda late, (last minute idea). Boiled on a propane burner with a large SS pot. Yielded about 3 quarts. Now I want more! Shooting for twenty taps this year. Plan on making a barrel evaporator from 55 gallon drum. Bought a stove kit from tractor supply, and aquired a couple of steam pans. Been surfing this site a lot and got lots of ideas. Great info here! Also bought Rink Manns book Backyard Sugarin today. Great info there also. Looking for any & all info anyone can give on building evaporator and anything else I may need. Thanks In advance. (Located in CT)
Hi Tom59 ,Yes this site is great !!! A good place to learn ! I've been were ur at ...and wished I'd ask myself back than ... How many trees/taps could I tap if I tapped them all amd maybe even my nabors ? Why because, I'd a built a bigger unit back than .lol I used a 55 gal home made evap. for 10yrs., 5yrs without fire brick ,what a diffrence!& saves a lot of wood, but still up for hours/days & nights with 25 taps. So if there's a chance of more trees ,as sugaring is additing,more more lol.
As I see it ,The cheap and fast way, is the block arch.(3 blocks high) lined with fire brick .take ur 55 gal barrow use one end for the front and the other for the stack ,and a used set of pans .Start with 2x4 than add on blocks to make longer as needed ....but I will say there was alot of good times around the barrow stove !! Oh by the way this should be in the homemade area, lol as this one is for the "It's all about the maplesyrup!! and Just syrup" area . but it's ok, ur a newbe, And I did the same way back than . Hope this helps and if u got more ??? just ask ,and someone will be there to help
P.S. We all add on ,if ya catch the bug !. I just finnished add on to the shack & With a new smoke stack (600 lb. 12'x10'' solid cast iron ) was lots of fun getting that (top of stack)18' in the air with cap,19' but bet this one won't rust out in my lifetime ! Also add on to my arch so my pans fit just right, rear pan 4x2,front syrup pan 2'x28'' total 2'x74''. Can't wait, almost want to tap, seeing all this below 30s nights & above 35 days! It's 49 degrees out at 11pm?? but I know (it's not spring yet)?/.... good luck!!! ED

Tom59
01-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks ED. Gonna try the drum this year. Thought about doing blocks, just limited on space. Drum seems like it would be easier to move if I have to. Also, moved my questions to the homemade area. :mrgreen: