PDA

View Full Version : How to identify "budded out" silver maples?

Logan Cabin
01-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Noticed on another thread (believe it was the WV tapping journal) where someone mentioned that they'd seen silver maples that were already budded out due to the warm weather. Any hints on identifying how far along a tree is, besides the off flavor? I know that by comparison to sugars, the silvers always seem to have some bud development visible in the winter. Links to photographs would be helpful is such a thing existed.

Thanks!

GeneralStark
01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I started a similar thread here: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?13148-When-has-a-Maple-Tree-Budded&highlight=budding

I think there is no consistent visual cue.

heus
01-23-2012, 04:36 PM
To me silvers always look budded out all winter long.

dschultz
01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
The silver has to flower first and then it buds,I tap 20 acres of silver's and have good sap runs from them.
So I think what you see on the silver's now is the flower bud and not the real bud of the leaves.

GeneralStark
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
The silver has to flower first and then it buds,I tap 20 acres of silver's and have good sap runs from them.
So I think what you see on the silver's now is the flower bud and not the real bud of the leaves.

Silver and Red Maples both display flower buds through the winter and appear swollen like they are ready to bud, but that is not the case.

KenWP
01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
You will know when your silvers actually bud out.They have these little feelers come out of the buds and look furry.They have the swollen red buds here about two days after the leaves all fall and stay that way till spring.