PDA

View Full Version : Having some pans made?

Dfrenzy
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
I am looking at having thorpe equipment of Wisconsin make my pans. Has anyone used them and if so how do you like your pans? Is there any other suggestions on someone to build a 2x4 Drop flue with a 2x2 finish pan in the front? I'm open to suggestions.

jmayerl
01-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I would suggest Jim schumacher. He makes 22 gauge stainless pans in flat, drop, or raised. He is by appleton. I doubt that you could have something custom made for this year, but he does have stock pans. Never have heard of Thorpe equipment.

Dfrenzy
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM
I contacted a few companies about this and one company wanted $2800 for a 2x4 drop flue pan and a 2x2 finish pan. I though thsy was crazy. Thorpe equipment had a price that i liked a knowledgeable staff and plenty of stainless work on there site. Pans would be 18ga 2ft x4ft by 10in deep. He told me the 18ga would be more forgiving if they got scorched but not heat up as well as 22ga. He also said they would be all welded pans another plus. Is there any other things i should be asking?

jmayerl
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Ok 18 ga is VERY thick for a pan. That might really effect the boil rate. 2800 seems about right depending on design and float box configuration. Remember that factory pans have deep flues and are fully tig welded because they are thinner gauge. This all takes a lot more special equipment other than a standard brake and MIG welded.

A pan that size should have 10 flues that are 7" deep and a drain connected to all the flues. As far as being "forgiving", forget it. If you run it dry it will be badly warped.

I'm not trying to steer you from getting one from them, but do you know anyone that has one? Maybe they can give you the name of someone that they build one for so you can talk to them.

Just want to make sure you are getting what you pay for.

sirsapsalot
01-25-2012, 08:23 PM
I contacted a few companies about this and one company wanted $2800 for a 2x4 drop flue pan and a 2x2 finish pan. I though thsy was crazy. Thorpe equipment had a price that i liked a knowledgeable staff and plenty of stainless work on there site. Pans would be 18ga 2ft x4ft by 10in deep. He told me the 18ga would be more forgiving if they got scorched but not heat up as well as 22ga. He also said they would be all welded pans another plus. Is there any other things i should be asking?

Here is a drop flue 2x6 for under 2 grand.http://www.sugarbush.info/forsale/showproduct.php/product/34/title/2-27x6-27-v-flue-pan-set/cat/9

smokeyamber
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Check out Bill Mason's stuff, he has a nice drop-tube setup, not sure cost of pans only, but his complete setups are very competetively priced and everyone loves his stuff. Do a search here for comments on them..

lastwoodsman
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I just had a new set of pans made by SmokyLake (Jim Schumacher) (2x4 drop flu and syrup pan with reverse flow) you will never buy a better set of pans in the industry than from Jim.
I have said this before he is more than a welder he is an artist, a true craftsman of which you do not find much anylonger, and he has a eye for detail.
You can go somewhere else but you will never find or get better quality than Jims.
You can see them on my photo bucket
Woodsman

Josh Nickles
02-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Lastwoodsman, I have a similar set of pans as you do. Jim is simply amazing. It looks like you have the same side reverse system on yours. That's nice to not have to deal with plugs or turning the pan. You have the cadalac of pans there!

I agree with jmayerl. If you run any pan dry they are going to the scrap yard. Several non professional pan builders say the heavy pans are more durable but the reason they likely build them is because they are limited in skill and equipment.