PDA

View Full Version : Bricking Question

LawnSite
01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
I recently purchased a 2 x 4 Mason and must board and brick.
Do I cover the arch bottom and walls with refractory cement and apply brick
as I go ? Or should I also cement the seams where the bricks butt up against eachother
as well ?

GramaCindy
01-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Hello again LawnSite, here's what I did on my Mason 2x4. Last year I just bricked, this year, in the new shack, I added archboard first, all over the entire inside. I actually used a bit of refractory cement to help it adhere to the metal. Then I added my half bricks, or splits and cemented ALL of the seams. Where ever they butted up against each other. The seams are the most important part I thought. my 2cents

christopherh
01-23-2012, 08:40 AM
I mixed my cement a little soupy, then dipped the brick into the mortar. It worked quite well.

LawnSite
01-23-2012, 08:41 AM
That's what I suspected. Thanks

packrat
01-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Can this cement be taken apart if you want to use them in a different evaporator later?

christopherh
01-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I was able to reuse my bricks after modifying my arch this year. I used a pressure washer to clean and remove all the soot.

Stamford sugarmaker
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
I believe that once you use refractory cement with your bricks it would be difficult to remove them and reuse them. Fortunately I do not have any first hand knowledge of this. One thing I do know is that trying to cut splits that have been fired is extremely difficult. I found that the process ruined my diamond tipped blades.

Peter

christopherh
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Yes, alot of the cement does stick to the brick. You can chip at it or cut it off and make your joints a bit bigger. When I did this I knew I was moving the evaporator out the sugarhouse after season was over, so a went a bit thin with the cement.