PDA

View Full Version : Started today

SevenCreeksSap
01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Finished putting up 200 ft of mainline today and was just going to attach a couple of laterals. After looking at the 10 day forecast for my area ( 40's days, low 30s and high 20s nights for next 10 days) I just couldnt stop myself from testing the whole new setup and ended up tapping 26 trees. through the week going to run the rest of the laterals and get all 110 taps in that I have. Sap was flowing immediately. I hope a couple of days of adding taps and gathering we'll have enough to have a boil. Maybe we'll get a long freeze, but maybe we won't. It's a crapshoot. I'm all in.

jhd504
01-24-2012, 07:13 AM
I was debating on whether or not to tap since the weather seemed right. I'm gambling the other way and am going to wait and see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

DRod2
01-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Feb. 4th........Thats the date that keeps ringing in my head

SevenCreeksSap
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm getting sap but its not flooding yet. didnt really freeze last night but the next few look better. Good test run for the tubing setup though. Found my only leak so far right at the last valve so at least it will drip into my holding tank. glued pvc so I think I'll just let it drip for now. Didnt want to put on too much cement and guess didnt get enough on.
Just bringing sap home and freezing for now to use the blocks to keep the poly tank cool if needed. I figure I need 50 gallons to have a boil so still adding 5/16 tubing and taps. I think we're up to 32-33 in and will get the rest in this weekend. Hopefully have enough to boil by sunday.

SevenCreeksSap
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Pretty much used up all my 5/16 tubing putting in about 50 more taps on our hill with help from the wife. She did good. Man its good to have an extra set of hands to hold tubing, tools ect.
Sap was flowing good at the drill bit, but getting really cold and windy now. Maybe a good run with the forecast this week. we're looking at a couple days above 50, then high 30s days with 20s nights. I'm mentally ready to boil, but still need to solder two fittings on the pan inlet line.
So now we have about 80 taps out on tubing and about 6 on buckets. I'll finish the rest of the taps on buckets cause I dont want to buy more tubing. If I go there I'll feel like I have to get more taps. Its a vicious cycle.

SevenCreeksSap
01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Had our best run today. Looks like all the tubing has had water through it. May not get much tomorrow because its going to stay warmer tonight, but next few days looks perfect. Havent had really good runs before today so been stockpiling in buckets in the freezer. I feel like I need 70-80 gallons to fire up the 2x8, but it could be a long boil. shooting for friday if the freezer doesnt collapse. I guess right now its best I didnt get a deer this year for the first time in 10 years.