PDA

View Full Version : Sheboygan County Tappin'

Pete S
03-07-2006, 04:27 PM
We had about 5 taps out for a week, when the less than accurate weather prediction was made, with as of today minimal results.

About an hour ago, we set the balance of the taps in. As I was boring, the sap was oozing out, and we have inches in several buckets now. Maybe gonna make a "rookie" sap run yet later.

We only have 16 taps, as this is our first year/attempt.

Hope to start boiling this Sunday!!

We are west of Plymouth about 5 miles, on the "Ridge"..............for any of you's local guys.

Sugarmaker
03-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Pete,
Just talked to a friend of mine (Frank) and he has about 20 taps he was boiling in his basement tonight on his electric stove. He will move out to his barrel evaporator tomorrow if we get a run in NWPA.
Chris

Pete S
03-14-2006, 06:29 AM
We bolied off on Sunday with having about 50 galllons of sap sitting in plastic garbage cans.

The weather this second week was better and we had a "best day" of 20+ gallons of sap collected.

Since Sunday, the sap appears to be stopped or real slow. I was hoping the sap would run well enough to boil down another FULL garbage can this Sunday the 19th.

Doesn't look good as COLD wintery weather has come back!

Will be pullin' the taps at this next boil down. :(

Russ
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
For Pete's sake (pun intended), why pull the taps? We're just getting to the fun part. Unless the frogs are singing in the marsh, keep the taps in and boil away. If you don't have the time, find out if there's a producer in the area that will buy your raw sap.