PDA

View Full Version : Experience With A Dallaire Hobby Evaporator 18 in x 48 in?

Starting Small
01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with a Dallaire Hobby Evaporator 18 in x 48 in that is being sold on the Maple Guys website. This would be my first evaporator. Thanks!

maplwrks
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Dallaire makes a high quality evaporator--don't be afraid to buy one

mapleleaf
01-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I bought a Lapierre 19 x48 a couple of years back. I don,t believe there is a lot of difference both being flat pans. I have been very satified with this evaporator, made about 25 gal until I ran of wood last year. Have alot more wood this year though. Had excellent response from maple guys to any questions I asked later.

Starting Small
01-20-2012, 08:42 PM
That is great to know. Am I understanding the lingo correctly that a pan is flat versus a drop pan? If I am correct what is the difference and which is better? Thanks,

Jec
01-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Well by drop you mean flue pan. A flue pan has corrigations in the bottom increasing surface area. There are 2 types: raised flue and drop flue. Raised flue is when the corrigations go into the pan. Drop flue is when the corrigations go into the arch. So both these types of flue pans increase surface area and evaporation rate.

mike first timer
01-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Are you looking for one for this year or one for next year?I have the same exact evaporator that you are looking at that i will be selling after this season is done. It will do about 10gph of sap if you pay attention to feeding it wood.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
01-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Look at this one. Sounds good for your size operation, because it is the same size as the Dalliere, but this has all the components of a larger model.
http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?item=395&ret=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mapleguys.com%2Findex.php%3Fp age%3D1%26category%3D27

Starting Small
01-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Wow, that is quite a rig. Do you know what the evaporation rate is for the Lapierre Mini Pro? Even though it is out of my budget it looks like it might be worth saving for. Would you guys agree?

Starting Small
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Also with these rigs there is extra cost for SS sides and stack. Is the SS worth purchasing?

bowtie
01-23-2012, 11:24 AM
if price is an issue and when is it not check out masons 2x3 or 2x4 cheaper and you will get great customer service. not saying the others are not justa good they seem to be a couple dollars more. i know i sound like a commercial again, but many are happy with mason's and i was thinking if bill ever checks the site maybe in couple years when i "need" a bigger evaporator i will get some sort of commision. ha ha!

sam1234
02-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Talk to your CDL sales rep.
There is the std 18x48 evaporator (flat pan - 3 partition) and there is also a new performance pan on this 18x48 (drop flue pan with flat syrup pan combo all in one piece). the nice thing is the arch will take any of these pans.

Have a goood first season!