PDA

View Full Version : temperature for maple leaf candies

delta757and767pilot
01-19-2012, 10:07 PM
I was just wondering what exactly you want the temperature or the hydrometer to read when you make the maple leaf candies that are not chewy.

maplwrks
01-20-2012, 06:23 AM
Go to 240 with it

unclebuck
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
To make maple candy bring syrup up to 243 degrees and cool to 190 to 180 degrees (the lower the temp the smaller the crystals) while cooling do not move or touch the syrup you don't want the crystals to start to form at this time. when you reach the low temperture start stiring onder a bright light you will be able to see thru the syrup it will be clear and shiny when it starts to get cloudy you will start to see a swirl at this time pour the syrup into your molds or into acookie sheet and it will set in seconds the best part of this is the mistakes and i've made many

maple marc
02-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Delta, get to the Cornell website for full instructions on candy temperatures. 243 may work for your location and weather but it's based on temperature of boiling water. And the lower the temperature at which you stir, the softer the candies will be. I like to stir at 160. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marc