PDA

View Full Version : Float Troubles

Goggleeye
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I just purchased a used Leader 2.5 X 8, made in 1994. I'd like to know what to expect out of the float valve. It seems like it just won't seal off very well. If I mess with it enough, I can get a near seal, but there seems to be little consistency in how it behaves, and it hasn't seemed to keep a consistent level while I'm boiling.

Am I correct in that such a valve will never achieve a 100% seal? Does the rubber piece that makes the seal get hard over time and need to be replaced? If so, how?

When I finish a boil, should I turn off the head tank supply valve?

Mark

SSFLLC
01-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Your head tank maybe to high if its letting that much sap through. I always shut my head tank off when i'm done. Last thing I need is to go out to boil to find 300 gallons of sap on the floor in the sugar shack. Keith

hotfire
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I have a 2.5 x8 also , one thing i found is my float had a pin hole leak , and that changes everything , i also close my tank valve every time i am done boiling. My seal has not dried out but you might look at that. Good luck

Goggleeye
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Well, looks like I need to let the wife in charge of the boiling operation. She messed with it today when I was at school and had it holding a perfect 1 inch boil when I got home.

I don't know if the head tank height is part the problem. The tank bases are about 5 feet higher than the float box, and it's fed with 1 inch line. But then after the wife messed with it, it would slow to a fast drip, and I would imagine that's the best that kind of valve will do.

It had over-flowed the evap, but I have two head tanks and only had the valve open to the tank that had about 70 gallons, so I figure I lost about 45 gallons of sap at worst. I needed sleep something terrible, and didn't want to turn the valve off for fear of it running dry after I went to bed. Does anybody have any idea how much sap I need in the pans to keep it from boiling dry if the fire is down to coals on this 2.5 X 8?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Fill it up about 2 inches higher than you normally run it. and if you feel better take the coals out of the arch.

Brian
01-20-2012, 08:36 PM
there is a tube in the float that lets the float expand/contract. make sure it is not plugged
with niter.My float, i change the setting on when the tank is 1/2 full a hole because the head preasure changes and the pan gets low. Good luck.