PDA

View Full Version : new fire grates ?i need some ideas

miller maple
01-18-2012, 10:39 PM
i would like some ideas for new grates when i bought my evaporator there were cast iron grates with it but they are worped really bad, and new ones are so bloody exspensive, and i want to build my own, just lookin to see if anyone has any good ideas how to do it. i kinda have a idea but would like some expert advise. thanks

jmayerl
01-18-2012, 11:03 PM
1.5x1.5 angle iron, 3/16th thick. Cut to length, turn upside-down. Cut pieces for the front and back and weld it together. Cost me $15 and ten minutes.

Ecnerwal
01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Recent discussion was of angle iron, points down, edges up 1/8-1/4" apart, filled with ash for insulation. Other option I can think of if you can swing the plumbing would be pipe and an air supply through the pipe (holes in sides or bottom) which would keep the pipe relatively cool and provide AUF. Not claiming much expert status though....

tuckermtn
01-19-2012, 05:17 AM
If you have AUF you can make a platform with steel supports (Think of a ladder with rungs going across the bottom of the fire box) and drill 3 different 3/4" holes in some firebrick to allow air to come up through.

miller maple
01-19-2012, 09:40 PM
ok mayby im dump but what does AUF mean haha

Peepers
01-19-2012, 11:08 PM
miller maple - I'm not an expert on the forced air techniques but I believe AUF = Air Under Fire whereas AOF = Air Over Fire. With my small operation I still rely on natural draft and haven't played with AUF (yet) unless you count me blowing on the fire to get it going at first :)

Ecnerwal's idea of using pipe for grates and AUF at the same time is intriguing but I'm looking for a simple solution for now also and will probably try the angle iron point down with ash as insulation this year.

miller maple
01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
i got a good start on my grates, thanks for the imput 5148