PDA

View Full Version : hot water with thermal siphon

maplekids
01-18-2012, 01:08 PM
Has any one put a copper coil in the back pans and made hot water with thermal siphoning? Put a 5 gallon tank higher then the back pans and running the water thru the coils in the hot sap and steam. Would this work? The top of the tank would need to be open so it would not build pressure.

Bucket Head
01-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Where did you hear about a thermal siphon? Do you happen to own an early tractor or Model T Ford? That was what they used for a cooling system- no water pump needed.

Way back I remember a post about this, but I don't recall if it was a question about the system or if someone had installed it and it was successful. You could try it. Sugaring is an annual experiment- we try things every year! If it works, awesome- if not, we try again with a modified version or we go in another direction. Half the fun is building it and giving it a whirl.

Steve

wiam
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Should work. Before I had a preheater I would set a kettle on the corner of the back pan to heat water for end of night cleanup.

Ecnerwal
01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Has any one put a copper coil in the back pans and made hot water with thermal siphoning? Put a 5 gallon tank higher then the back pans and running the water thru the coils in the hot sap and steam. Would this work? The top of the tank would need to be open so it would not build pressure.

If you set it up like a sap preheater (in the steam, with the condensate collected and routed away from the pan) it would be OK. If you put it in the pan you would be hurting your boil rate. Of course, it you collect the condensate off your preheater, there's hot distilled water - just keep the bucket insulated if it cools off too fast for you, and that's all going to help your boil rate...