PDA

View Full Version : Too Early?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-16-2012, 07:27 PM
The forecast has me really thinking. I can not decide whether it is too early or not. I run the risk of my tap holes closing if i tap too early. And i dont know if this is spring? The weather is so goofy.

Forecast looks like a normal one for mid season! :o What is your Oppinion Tap this saturday or keep dragging my feet?

Turtlecreek
01-16-2012, 08:22 PM
I am a big proponent of feet dragging! I'm not going to tap to at least presidents weekend as usual. Every time I try to tap even a few weeks early I get frozen up, dry tap holes and anything else you can think of. Some of this is probably because I have a north facing bush, so I can old out a bit longer. The other issue is I only have 30 to 40 taps so every one counts.

bobsklarz
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm waiting till last week in Feb. Amish around here always go March 1st.

adk1
01-16-2012, 08:42 PM
That is what they say around here too. Alot of the old times say "gotta be tapped by March 1"..Although, I think there is a trend to start tapping Presidents Weekend. THAt is my goal (weather depending of course). Hate to miss that early run..But I am new at this and will go by whe nthe majority of others who have been doing it start. It wont take me but half a day to tap my bush

Greenwich Maple Man
01-16-2012, 09:53 PM
The forecast has me really thinking. I can not decide whether it is too early or not. I run the risk of my tap holes closing if i tap too early. And i dont know if this is spring? The weather is so goofy.

Forecast looks like a normal one for mid season! :o What is your Oppinion Tap this saturday or keep dragging my feet?

I don't kniow when your season usualy starts but it is way to early here. That would mean winter is almost over. Not happening.

waysidemaple
01-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Seriously fighting the urge here. Looking at the highs and lows of the upcoming 10 days looks like prime time. If I had everything ready I think I would fall victim to early tapping this year. I usually tap on valentine's day and plan for that this year but If the weather still looks good the first week of Feb I think Im going for it. Last two years I gave up before my tap holes did!

Scott

Dennis H.
01-22-2012, 07:28 AM
I am thinking of tapping Monday down here.
This will be the same time that I tapped in last season. I wanted to wait till at least Feb but with the wacky weather we are having, Next week is to be in the mid 40's as highs and the mid 20's as lows!!
I wanted to tap in about week ago but managed to lock the drill away so I couldn't do it!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-22-2012, 08:38 PM
I will be tapping throughout the week. Probably tuesday and wednesday evening.

theschwarz1
01-30-2012, 02:50 PM
I'd like to tap also. I might just tap a few to see what happens. The temps are to be perfect all week. Then Ill tap the rest on the normal schedule. My boiler man wont be ready till march anyway, his steam away hood broke and he had to send it away! =/