PDA

View Full Version : Binghamville Forest is tapped

Daren
03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Spent this beautiful sunny morning putting in 51 taps with my wife and a good friend. Several of the trees in the sun were running a bit when I tapped them. I am jazzed! Sure hope the nights get a little colder than it looks like they will be next week. Oh Well.. gotta take what mother nature gives and be happy with that. By the looks of the forecast...boiling on saturday or sunday :P .

Daren
04-01-2006, 03:22 PM
All finished in Binghamville! I have a couple of friends boiling off the last of the sap that was collected yesterday and this morning. Only about 35 gallons total after tossing out a few buckets that were clouded over. The reds ran well dispite the warm spell this winter, much to my suprise and delight. It looks like about 7 or 8 gallons this year....my best ever! previously I had not gotten over the 4 gallon mark, but the new system and the additional taps worked out pretty well. I was just lucky to be off for the week when the big run hit. I had some friends up from South Florida from the 23rd to the 28th to see what Vermont maple sugaring is all about. It happend to encompass the open house weekend which made it all that much better. We also had mother nature on our side with some of the most perfect sugaring weather possible. I had 17 people at the sugarhouse this past Sunday and we boiled off about 110 gallons of sap. It was a very long day at an average evap rate of 7 gallons/hr, but it was a great time. A perfect day in my book (except that maybe a shiny new 2x6 would have added to the overall joy :wink: ). Anyway.....now time to break it all down and clean it up for another year. Thanks to all who have and continue to help this backyarder "git er done" by great ideas and an endless number of solutions that made everything work so well this year.

Daren.