PDA

View Full Version : Its almost time.

PARKER MAPLE
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
So guys and gals, whats the plan of attack this year. Any of you taping in January, or waiting for Febuary? I tapped last year on superbowl sunday. first boil was twodays after if I remember right. Then froze up hard for a week. I will Be keeping my eyes open and watching the weather very closely in apprx 2 weeks then charging batteriers to be on stand-by. What are your plans

MR

adk1
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM
I will be eyeing PResidents weekend I think. Will be my first year. Weather depending of course. what does everybody look for? two days of fluctuation or more of a week of steady fluctuation?

GramaCindy
01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
I look for a week of fluctuation myself

adk1
01-16-2012, 08:58 PM
yeah I remember last year when you were posting. I was so jealous :)

GramaCindy
01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
yeah I remember last year when you were posting. I was so jealous :)
and THIS YEAR, you FINALLY get to join in adk1

adk1
01-17-2012, 05:41 AM
that I do! I will be more doing and less "planning" haha.

PARKER MAPLE
01-17-2012, 06:19 AM
ADK1 in the early season with new everything, I would be looking for a good 3days of warm days and cold night, and tap then. You wont have to worrie about taps drying out as much with new drops , and lats. I remember my first year on tubing everything was brand new, I think I was so wound up aout it I tapped 2weeks to early, everything was still running well into aprill for me and worked out good. Thsi also allowed me to make some changes in the bush with stuff that wasnt working just right. So this year you will be doing less planning and more doing I see.
MR
rookie status for one more season

northwoods_forestry
01-17-2012, 06:20 AM
Hey Rookie - Definitely holding off until at least Mid-February as I'll be in Costa Rica until then!

PARKER MAPLE
01-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Really not going on a cruise ship are you northwood, I hear there not staying upright these days

northwoods_forestry
01-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Ha ha! No cruise ships for me, keeping my feet on terra firma. I'll be in the jungle for the most part.

PARKER MAPLE
01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
drills are on the charger

Daren
01-25-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm not going to watch until the 3rd week of Feb....then if I see 4 or 5 days of favorables and with minimal snow cover.....BANG! Would be my earliest ever though. March 1st was the earliest so far. We are getting to the fun part! Finally!

Randy Brutkoski
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
The first hole goes in the tree tomorow.

sjdoyon
01-25-2012, 06:28 PM
We need to assist in filling out the survey. The research done by UVM Proctor Research directly benefits what we love to do.

Thanks to those who have completed the survey so far....but we need a LOT more participation. Please complete the survey at
http://kwiksurveys.com/online-survey...IONKG_c3f8cb68

Don't make me come out there and get you.
Dr. Tim Perkins
UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc

PARKER MAPLE
01-25-2012, 06:40 PM
go getum Randy, I heard from fellow sugarmaker in central NH they are running there, hes got vacuum lines hes tapping now and will do gravity in a week or 2. I might wait one more weekend not this one coming but next

PARKER MAPLE
01-26-2012, 03:04 PM
See some guys in NH tapping today, or maybe they were just taken there drills for a walk in the woods. lol. Im getting very itchy but my wife is still reminding me of last season when I tapped to early got one good run then It got cold and froze up again, more of a hassle then anything

MR

northwoods_forestry
01-27-2012, 01:26 PM
This is crazy, it's still January and I feel like I should be tapping out! Can't do it though, flying out to Costa Rica tomorrow and won't be back till Feb 10th. If it's still 40 degrees when I get back maybe I'll tap then if the season isn't over already!

PARKER MAPLE
01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Might be Northwoods, Im tapping next weekend at the lastest. poss earlier. I think its going to come and go quickly, hope im wrong.

sjdoyon
01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
I plan to spend the week of the 21st of Feb to tap. Still getting cold weather in the North Country. Larger local outfits starting tapping last week but they have 15-20,000 trees so they need the two - three weeks to get it done.

3x10 Inferno Arch
4,000+ Taps
7,5 HP Vacuum pump
Lapierre 600gph RO
3 SS 1500 gallon tanks
24x32 Sugarhouse

PARKER MAPLE
01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Well things are really coming around here, I have had two calls from property owners this week. They are all interested in letting me tap there tree. Man if this could of been in Dec I would be all set. so now its last minute.
One has apprx 2000 taps and other has apprx 800 on top of the one I already have I have a decision to make here folks. Thats like 3500 taps if I can get them all done in 2 weeks. ( i dont see it happening) also I only have a 3x8 so the extra sap I will be selling to local sugarmakers in town. trying to make a profit large enough to grow this hobby into a winter-spring money maker. WHAT DO YOU THINK

MR any advie would be greatly apprieciated

mtcrumpit
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
maple rookie, good luck making it into a money maker. write a book on how to do it and you'll probably get richer. I find the liability insurance man gets most and thats not even paying myself farmers wages. the only way I know how to end up with a little money sugaring is to start with a lot of money.

PARKER MAPLE
01-29-2012, 06:41 AM
i all ready carry the liability insurance, for my other lifetime hobby (work lol) so not that big of a deal if you just plan for it.