PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Taps are in!

Maple Hobo
01-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Been watching the weather reports... We went ahead and put out all 3000 plus taps this weekend.
Weather is looking too good to wait. If we have to retap it will probably be more then worth it.

Kngowods
01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I really wanna tap this will be me first year what do u mean retap?? Ream or drill a different hole?

wcproctor
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Re-tap, ream and drill a new hole is not a good idea.

adk1
01-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Nope, that it isnt from what I have learned

Edward Howell
01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
This weather is what we live for to make the syrup .

Good for you Hobo , I am in the middle of launching a new fitting for the maple tubing or I would be in also . :( Only 24 in a day darn ,

U shold have a terrific run going from the 20 deg for the last couplr days to this 50 deg + rain :)

Keep us posted plz

Maple Hobo
01-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Over 1000 gallons of sap so far and RO is runing... here we go... Few minor hickups to start, and still chasing leaks, but we are up and running.

I wouldn't ream out the holes larger... I thought about it too. The larger hole will take longer to heal, you would need a tap addapter tip to a size not created too.

Nope i'll drill a new hole and it will grow over in a couple years.

darkmachine
01-18-2012, 06:10 AM
The weather here has been perfect, we thought we would have another two or three weeks before we started tapping, but it looks like we'll try to get them in this weekend, at least some of them, and then as the season goes we'll hang more buckets. We might swing up and say hi some time Maple Hobo, Is anyone running Alberts operation this year?

Edward Howell
01-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Hobo ,

How is the quality of the first run ?

ED

Maple Hobo
01-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Well... water has been coming in, daily leak checks and a few repairs... things are moving quite well here.
Been getting extra fancy grade or better looking at the 2012 vermont standard.

Looks like we will be helping Uncle Larry tap down at Great Uncle Albert's(RIP) camp this week end.
We donated a bunch of tubing to them too.

Step son Koty has been running his bucket trees, water has been over 2.3 brix.
He's looking at putting out another 100 buckets in the next week.

We are buying his water and any water Uncle Larry doesn't want to cook off.

If we can get the rest of the cove on board we will have something pretty interesting going on.

This is just a hobbie... right?...lol

S Culver
01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Looks like I'm going all in tomorrow. The next ten days nights look to have the lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's. Did a test boil last weekend and I am still tweeking a few things. I still need to get some more mainline put in but that is going to happen as we go. I have the wire in and the line needs to be strung. My 11 and 13 yr old are a great help and now have the hang of it so it should happen pretty fast. Still need bottles, I guess that means a trip to Brenemens. Does he have real hours other than daylight? He is always sorta there and open. This is about 2 weeks earlier than last year but looks good.

schellmaple
01-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I know one day he is closed is the Monday after Easter. It is a Amish holiday. I drove up there and nobody was around.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Just dont go on sundays he does not like dealing on sunday. saturdays are his big day. he expects people to be there. And if you get there and he isnt there you could go to somerset to mike lynch. He is a lapierre dealer. He does not carry sugar hill jugs though. His phone number is 814-442-3680.

S Culver
01-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Rossell

What all does Mike Lynch have? is it a storefront? or something akin to Henry's?

220 maple
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Sloan,

I suggest you call his voice mail, he will call you back and leave you a message if he is going to be there. He has been working on a building for his daughter and son in law in Western Pa. As far as Amish holidays the next one is Good Friday then the Monday after Easter, Henry and Rhoda gave me a list of Amish Holidays which I guess I misplaced already, Acension Day then Whitt Monday falls after Easter. I'll post them when I locate my note.
Mark 220 Maple

Edward Howell
01-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Aaron , Glad to here the syrup is good quality , Mark 220 was saying some had reported that the syrup was not so good. I am declaring ox in the ditch and do a wash boil tomorrow after church so i can tap monday . Here we go . This is the fitting i have been working on , sounds like i am a couple weeks to late to be helpful for you . Next year :) http://youtu.be/3Efsjw6jQQo

Maple Hobo
02-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Getting ready for another canning session tomorrow...lol
Been a great start to the season, even if some people think it was too early.
Already produced about a third of what we did last year and we didn't start cooking until next week last season.

Some of the camps around here are still trying to get thier tubing\buckets out?
I think its good to go by weater trends and not being fixated on only starting on a praticular day each year.

wvsugarshak
02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Boy I agree with that. Sometimes you just have to take what mother nature give ya and run with it!!!!!!!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Mike sells out of his sugar camp. Baer Brothers. And if you need to talk to him just give him a call