PDA

View Full Version : Bottling at draw-off?

Red-bellied Woodpecker
01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
I will be drawing off into a SS milk pal that has a spout on it. The syrup will go through a filter first but if the temp is still high enough can I bottle the syrup right away? If this works I figure I will have everything bottled at the end of the day and not have to re-heat then.

Thompson's Tree Farm
01-15-2012, 10:14 AM
As long as the syrup is filtered, of the right density, and maintains "hot pack" temperature, you can bottle right from the evaporator.

adk1
01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
yeah I thought about that too, but then I thought that It would be too crazy to try to keep it at that 180 degree mark which loading the evap, watching my sap tank depth and all the other things that go on...

jmayerl
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
That's sounds really sketchy! You need to bottle between 180-195 so unless you have a theremometer in the pail you won't know. It doesn't seem that it would be easy to do but go for it if you can.

RileySugarbush
01-16-2012, 09:41 PM
The temp falls off really fast during filtering and bottling. You will probably need some way to keep it warm. Plus it's tough to get the density right off the evaporator throughout a draw. Some adjustment is usually needed in the bottler or finisher.

Bucket Head
01-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I'd also be wary of the syrup possibly still being above the 190 mark. It would depend on how quick the syrup filtered. Over 190 degrees, the plastic jugs get sort of soft. The hotter they are the softer they get. You don't want to crank soft caps onto soft bottles and have a distorted jug and cap. That means the seal probably did not seal right, which leads to bad things. Keep an eye on the temp. in the stainless container.

Steve

Ausable
01-17-2012, 03:35 AM
Red - First off - You can do it any way You want - it is your maple syrup. The advice You have been given - so far - is very good. Now I gotta toss in my dime. I'm a Backyarder - made a lot of ho-hum syrup, Now - I finally like my own syrup - but - I found I have to do it in three basic steps. (1) Boil down the sap on my evaporator and draw off at almost syrup. (2) Finish off the Maple Syrup (this is a separate step for me - cause this is where I always fell down) and finally (3) Bottle or Can. Now the first two steps - I can do by myself. In the last step I really need my Wife's help - cause we are really busy. Everyone is a little different - do to the equipment we have and our age, condition and ability. Try your idea and see how it works out - If it works - Yeh! and If not - try another approach. Best of luck and make lots of Maple. -----Mike----

adk1
01-17-2012, 05:43 AM
Excellent advise Ausable. To each their own!

Brent
01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
It will get too cold too fast.

If you could cut the corner on this 5000 sugarmakers would already be doing it.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking it would cool to fast....just wanted to see if anyone did it this way. I will be making 10gal of syrup a day and will stick with useing the 10gal bottler at the end of each day.