PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump motor problem solved

SadSams
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
In an earlier post I talked about having a problem starting the 3 hp motor off the generator. Well after doing this and that I decided to build a hinge for the motor so that I could start the motor with no load and then lower and lock in place with wing nuts. Today was the big day. We went to the bush and installed it and it worked better than expected. All the tubing is hooked up so I set the vacuum regulator at 15''. Its The Delaval 76 and was told not to pull anymore than that becauce it will run to hot. I may adjust after the season starts if the pump can handle it. I walked up to the far end just over 1000' to look at a vacuum gauge and wow I was real happy. It was at 14.5'' vac. So only a .5'' vacuum drop in that distance I guess I can say its a pretty tight system. Although this is my 1st year on vac. maybe it should have read 15''? You guys on vac. can maybe chime in.

maple flats
01-14-2012, 04:03 PM
That is good. I have a gas engine on my pumps and use a hinge mount on them. Don't put the full weight of the motor on the belt. It is better to use the weight for tension but then have a bolt out the outboard side to use as an adjustable leg, this way you get the exact right tension on the belt.

danno
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Yup, did that last year with a deleval 75 that wouln't ramp on on 230 volts. It was weird - the motor/pump had always worked at that location, then mice got into the motor and ruined it. Had the motor wiring re-spun, and just couldn't get the motor to drop out of start. Was pulling way too many amps. Rather than hinging it, I just loosened the botls that hold the motor in place to slack the belts. With no belt tension, motor was fine. Then would just tension the belts and tighten the bolts. Not ideal, but it worked . Have since moved on to a LR pump.

wiam
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Unless you bought really expensive gauges do not even worry about .5". I have 7 manifolds in my wet/dry setup and none of them read the same as the one on the releaser(some higher some lower).