PDA

View Full Version : looking for some insight on new rig options

Woodsymiles
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
hello to all, im in the market for a new rig. currently have a 4x14 leader king with 1300 or so taps on vac and later down the road prob 3000. im not using an RO but would like to at some point. we burn what ever soft wood we can get and run blowers. with the new rig i would also like to be using a preheater or steam away. ive read that a steam away requires draining and am not familiar with using one so if it does require constant tending i may not want to use it. otherwise my main ? would be based on the amount of taps, fuel being used, possibilty of RO use, ect, what would be the best size and rig replacement? there is not much room on the left side of current setup so i would like go with a more narrow rig. by reading through previous posts ive seen that the force 5 may be the best to suit my needs but not a budget so what are some
options like leaders inferno
arch? still would like some insight on something like the force 5 though. on top of a evap recommendation what would be the best set of pans to go with the it?*

Woodsymiles
01-14-2012, 09:49 AM
been looking into revolution pans for the ability to draw off one side. Anyone have any news on this style. considering it due to the lack of room on left side of rig. any other input on flue pan styles ect ect or advice would be greatly appreciated.

sjdoyon
01-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Waylayer,

A good starting point is attendance at the UVM-Proctor conferences. You have a number of dealers who sometime attend, one of the sessions has to do with the purchase of a RO. Plus the expertise at these conferences can not be duplicated anywhere. Since you're in Vermont, you have options throughout the state with dealers who will look at your operation and give you the best options. Plus you have Leader based in Swanton. We set up a 4,000 tap operation this summer but built in the capacity to handle 15,000 taps. Cost wise was not that much different, ensuring you plan for the future was the key.

• R/O Systems - Auditorium
Brad Gillian of Leader Evaporator will help you explore the different types of systems. And once it’s purchased how do you use it effectively? Learn how to choose, install, operate and the care and maintenance for the equipment.

Sat., Jan. 14, Middlebury Union H.S., Middlebury, VT
Sat., Jan. 21, Lamoille Union H.S., Hyde Park, VT
Sat., Feb. 4, Bellows Falls Union H.S., Bellows Falls, VT

3x10 Inferno Arch
4,000+ Taps
7,5 HP Vacuum pump
Lapierre 600gph RO
3 SS 1500 gallon tanks
24x32 Sugarhouse

Thad Blaisdell
01-14-2012, 10:57 AM
dont worry so much about new arches, steamaway, and such. Put your $ and time into an RO. Start there and then move in the direction you want to. A 4x14 should do about 190 gallons per hour. If you concentrate to 16%, you would be making around 40gph. Do you need to make it any faster. By doing this you will use less wood and take less time. A steamaway is expensive and can oly do so much. RO is where you need to go.

sugaringman85
01-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I have 1350 taps and am running i believe an inferno arch with the revolution pans because i have little space on the left side as well. Its a 3x10 with an automatic drawoff. I also run a springtech 250gph RO. I have the potential to run almost 4000 taps some day and the only thing different i will end up doing is getting a better RO either a 600 or a 1000gph RO to match my tap count and keep the small efficient rig that i have. The RO is the best thing that we have going it saves us a lot of time and wood. We're not even running high sugar concentrations...average was probably 5 or 6 %

Woodsymiles
01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
dont worry so much about new arches, steamaway, and such. Put your $ and time into an RO. Start there and then move in the direction you want to. A 4x14 should do about 190 gallons per hour. If you concentrate to 16%, you would be making around 40gph. Do you need to make it any faster. By doing this you will use less wood and take less time. A steamaway is expensive and can oly do so much. RO is where you need to go.

The pans on the arch are english tin and front pan is pretty beat up. Arch isnt too efficient. Hard to boil at 100% with the way the front pan is. I could replace the front pan and get an air tight door, might as well replace the flue pan too. Could use new grates too. Then put a preheater and hood on. All that would make it a new rig. I would have to do that before getting into an RO system though.

Waylayer,

A good starting point is attendance at the UVM-Proctor conferences. You have a number of dealers who sometime attend, one of the sessions has to do with the purchase of a RO. Plus the expertise at these conferences can not be duplicated anywhere. Since you're in Vermont, you have options throughout the state with dealers who will look at your operation and give you the best options. Plus you have Leader based in Swanton. We set up a 4,000 tap operation this summer but built in the capacity to handle 15,000 taps. Cost wise was not that much different, ensuring you plan for the future was the key.

• R/O Systems - Auditorium
Brad Gillian of Leader Evaporator will help you explore the different types of systems. And once it’s purchased how do you use it effectively? Learn how to choose, install, operate and the care and maintenance for the equipment.

Sat., Jan. 14, Middlebury Union H.S., Middlebury, VT
Sat., Jan. 21, Lamoille Union H.S., Hyde Park, VT
Sat., Feb. 4, Bellows Falls Union H.S., Bellows Falls, VT

Thanks for the info, I plan on attending one of these. And was hoping to get up to leader at sometime this spring.

I have 1350 taps and am running i believe an inferno arch with the revolution pans because i have little space on the left side as well. Its a 3x10 with an automatic drawoff. I also run a springtech 250gph RO. I have the potential to run almost 4000 taps some day and the only thing different i will end up doing is getting a better RO either a 600 or a 1000gph RO to match my tap count and keep the small efficient rig that i have. The RO is the best thing that we have going it saves us a lot of time and wood. We're not even running high sugar concentrations...average was probably 5 or 6 %

Nice set up, what type of flue pan is on the arch? Time and wood, good things to save on.

wiam
01-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Just another point of view. I only boiled on average about 3 hrs/day last year. This was with my RO putting out close to 300gph. Not very tight hood and preheater. I made 400 gallons on a 2x6 that is pushed hard when running. Just over 1100 taps.

Woodsymiles
01-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I think at this point ill have to choose between fixing up the old rig or invest in a new one. Either way im going to look into getting an RO set up.

wiam
01-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Check this out http://www.wfmasonwelding.com/evaporators.html

Often Goodrich's have a Mason 2x6 in stock.