PDA

View Full Version : Ray G ingrich ro

maplefarmer
01-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I ordered a 250 gph ro from Ray with elec. motor, after thinking about it, I don't think I can run 220 volt service to my 12x16 sugar shed. How many guys have a ray ro with a gas engine, and does it work well, and would I need to run exhaust pipe out thru a wall, or is the walk in door enough vent.

AdirondackSap
01-13-2012, 11:30 PM
i ordered a 250 gph gas powered ro from ray. Im picking it up in a few weeks i will let you know how it works out for me.

maple flats
01-14-2012, 04:52 AM
I have one but this will be my first season. It is my understanding that an open door is not enough to be safe. The unit is on wheels (2 rigid on one end and 1 swivel on the other, 6" wheels I think and very heavy duty) and is intended to be rolled outdoors, but Ray said some users opt to connect the exhaust to a vent pipe going outdoors.

Father & Son
01-14-2012, 02:05 PM
maplefarmer,
Ray's 125 & 250 gph RO's are 110v. His 375 & 500 are 220v. That was my understanding anyway.

Jim

Bucket Head
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Guy's,

I'd run the thing outside with the engine driven units- far outside and down wind from the shack. I've heard of too many carbon monoxide poisenings with generators running nearby. I would'nt trust running a pipe somewhere for the exhaust gases either. Besides, your not going to want to hear that thing running for hours, trust me. My first experiment with forced draft was a gas engine-driven leaf blower. It was about twenty feet away plumbed to the arch with 4" drain pipe. I only ran it at idle and it worked good, but listening to it for hours on end drove you nuts! How much noise do the RO's make with some throttle applied? More than you want to listen to I'm sure.

Steve

Ecnerwal
01-14-2012, 04:11 PM
I ordered a 250 gph ro from Ray with elec. motor, after thinking about it, I don't think I can run 220 volt service to my 12x16 sugar shed. How many guys have a ray ro with a gas engine, and does it work well, and would I need to run exhaust pipe out thru a wall, or is the walk in door enough vent.

Might be able (depends how far) to simply run a 220V outdoor extension cord. Beats listening to and smelling and paying for fuel for a gasoline motor if you have power anywhere near the shack.

danno
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
If there is any way you can run it on electric, do it. If you have 110 out there, why can't you do 220?

markct
01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
yea whats the concern of running 220? its just two legs of 110 nothing magical

maplefarmer
01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
It's not that I couldn't run 220 to my shed, it's that we already have 3 greenhouses, couple freezer and coolers for the produce business, or service is almost over cap. with no more room in the box for another 220. I did speak to ray last night and he said he cannot get a 110 motor that will run the ro to full speed, something about trying one at a show last week and then switching to the 6.5 honda and it did great. He said he welds a nipple on after the exhaust to run flexable exhaust line out a hole drilled in shed, and that if i decide later it is easy to change out the gas motor and go elec. I'm picking my ro up on Tues. hope the gas is a good choice?

Bucket Head
01-16-2012, 12:42 AM
Its not that the gas engine is a "good choice" or not- it will run better apparently with it- its getting the exhaust out. Sap houses are not air tight so the possibility of fumes getting back in is always there. Get the exhaust outlet plumbed far away. Many years ago we had a power outage around here that lasted days for some folks. Some had generators running outside, in their driveways, but had the garage door(s) open and their houses filled with fumes. The breeze carried the fumes back in. There were no deaths, but some got a serious 'schooling' on carbon monoxide poisoning.

Steve

maplefarmer
01-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Steve, I do have a 220 outlet on a grain bin coming from another power source, I didn't realize you could run 220 on an extension cord, I realize would have to be a 220 cord with the side pole hookup, thought 220 is always hard wired in. Would it be poss. to make up a 220 volt extension cord that would need to run 100 feet to sugar house? I guess question is 100 feet to far to run?

Bucket Head
01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't think 100' is too far, with the proper sized (wire gauge) extension cord. An electrician will have to chime in here or go consult with one. How many amps are we talking about? My 220v RO draws 21 amps according to the information tag on the control panel. Its not in front of me so I could'nt tell you the wire size, but I had a 50' extension cord made up so I could weld outside of the garage if I had to. All my welders are 220v units, but they are on a 50amp outlet. And the welders were I work have power cords longer than 50'. Like I said, get with an electrician. They will tell you what you can and can't do, but I know 220v extension cords exist.

Steve

jmayerl
01-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Just Google 220 extension...........ouch, 50' is about $200.

firetech
01-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Go to your local big box store buy the plug and resptical that are compatible with your grain bin. Buy the wire size you need. Electric motors have a diffent sizing chart than does a residenal cir. Where's my code book? Well 21 amps should be carried on #10 wire. Get SO or SJO ( 2 conductor w/ground) put on the ends and go for it no derate at 100 ft. This wire is rated for 600v so your ok. You may need this cord to power an auger or grain cleaner in the future.

maplefarmer
01-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Thanks Firetech, I will def. try that, is the #10 wire you mention the grey flat wire?

Bucket Head
01-17-2012, 12:25 AM
I beleive the grey flat wire is for hard wiring. For an extension cord that will be mobile and be dragged on the ground, coiled up, pulled over or against rough sufaces, etc., it has to be a different type of wire. The extension cords for both my welder and the generator are round and are the diameter of a garden hose. The outside casing is more durable and the cord is more flexible than the flat type wire your describing.

Steve

jmayerl
01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
That is meant to be indoors secured between walls and not exposed to movement. Using standard wiring as an extention cord is asking to electrocute your dog, child, friend or wife.............wait I might have to take a few off that list that wouldn't bother me much.

maplefarmer
01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Picked up my ro today from Ray, went with the gas model, (more flexability) was a very busy place building more ro's and 3 other guys picking up ro's while I was there.

jbetourney
01-17-2012, 07:19 PM
i may be intreasted in buying one of these ro but am not able to find any pricing or specs on them. Does any one know what the cost would be on a 250gph electric. not sure if it would be in the budget this year but have to have something to shoot for.
Thank you

jimsudz
01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
jbetourney,The model 250 EX is $3200 + $200 for electric motor. This was the price at Verona

firetech
01-17-2012, 08:08 PM
SO and SJO cord are on bulk reels and need to be cut for length. The grey wire you are refiring to is UF cable very stiff and hard to handle compared to SO which is an extention cord material very flexable and east to wire with.