PDA

View Full Version : What will happen this spring

konwinski
01-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Hello everybody. This coming spring will be my first official tapping season, I'm very excited. With this very mild winter we are having I am curious about what effect it will have on the sap flow in the spring. Any guesses?

Thanks,
Ken

DrTimPerkins
01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
It will not have any effect whatsoever, unless you happened to tap early, in which case your spouts will be all dried up by the time spring gets here. The sap season is dictated almost entirely 99%+ by the weather we get DURING the sap flow season.

ehausinfrats
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Dr. Perkins, I have been wondering the same thing. We do not have hardly any frost in the ground yet. Does it matter at all having a cold or very mild winter on sap production?
Or is it just a natural progression that happens in spring regardless?
Always good to read you comments

Eric

adk1
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
this is what I want to hear. JUst hoping for good sugarin weather come the second to last weekend of Feb!

Don(MI)
01-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Dr.,

Couple more questions if you don't mind.

We have had literally 2-5" max accumulation of snow this winter so far, very low for a total to this point in winter for an average.

Our 5 acre maple woods, usually a swamp filled lake during the beginning of sap season, is currently bone dry.

Because of the lack of moisture that normally occurs, could this effect our season? Thanks, Don

jmayerl
01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=konwinski;170990]Hello everybody. This coming spring will be my first official tapping season, I'm very excited. With this very mild winter we are having I am curious about what effect it will have on the sap flow in the spring. Any guesses?

Once you figure out how things will be in 6 weeks, let me know what the powerball numbers are too! :)

DrTimPerkins
01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Because of the lack of moisture that normally occurs, could this effect our season? Thanks, Don

Magic 8 Ball says....check the soil moisture level when you tap and ask again.

Don(MI)
01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Ah doc, so when I take my soil sample and its 100% full of swamp water, I will know? lol